Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 3hp motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default 3hp motor

Hey there y'all, I fish from a 16ft flat back canoe and have thus far been paddling while waiting for a deal on a motor to come along.

So there is a 3hp Buccaneer outboard available locally for $150, it's an old motor, probably a 50's vintage. The owner says it runs pretty well.

I'm thinking about buying it but then I wonder if a good trolling motor could perform at about the same level as a 3hp gas motor without fuel costs or maintenance requirements.

What do you think?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMOHO you would be better off with a 55lb Minnkota with Maximizer. I believe that old Buccaneer is air cooled which makes it very noisey. If you have any problems with it, parts are going to be very hard to find. While there is no direct thrust to HP conversion a 55lb thrust TM will give you about the same performance as that motor.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks IBNFSHN, I like that answer, something about a noisy, leaky, old motor just doesn't appeal to my idea of serenity. An old gas motor like that is probably horrible from an environmental perspective in a lot of ways too.

Thanks again :D

Post Thanks / Like

george,, check the classified hear & try ebay.. I bought a '58 3hp rude locally hear fer $150.. runs like a champ will push my canoe pretty good clip,, had a set up just like it 15 years ago and people said it looks like a long jetski,, dunno bout all that but can tell ya,, that setup will get up & go,, I'm rigg'n anuther project canoe with a 997SI...I'll check with my neighbor he used ta have a rude 2 hp newer model than mine,, but I think it needs carb werk,, I'll see if he'll give it ta me & you can have it,,the neighbors wife wants me ta get rid of some of his crap in the garage,,I'm just helping them out...
    I'll post pics of my setup when I getter done this Fri...

JAKE
    ~~~~~~~({<(((((((*>
    unOFFICIAL Mayor of BLUFF Landing, OK

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3 HP Gale Buckaneer sure brings back memories. It was my first outboard motor. It was mounted on a very light wooden jon about 10' long. Sweet little motor and pushed that little boat along quite well. It did have a water pump of sorts which was a little rubber ring that was move by an eccentric cam on the prop shaft. With all that said, unless you're a small motor enthusiast and mechanic, I would pass and get either a much newer model or the electric troll motor.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 or 4 Hp Name:  reduced evinrude.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  55.7 KB but my motor is going for a lot more than you guys are talking.
    Your right about the Air cooled engines. Noisy and fussy.

I went up a lake 11 Miles long in AK (cold temp) in a 16' Glass canoe, with a 23 Lb Electric trolling motor. Came back the same 11 miles with almost 800 Lbs of Moose and Gear.
    The battery finally began to lag a little about 5 miles from the landing.
    I'd say just about any trolling motor would do you for several hours of running. Additionally, even a square back will paddle/glide effortlessy along when the Battery begins to die.

I actually think a gas outboard is too much for a canoe if your not going a long ways up a river. I'd go with the small thrust Trolling motor.

I had another idea while I was hunting up that long lake. Why dont I get a big Model airplane engine and hook it up to a Small generator, so I can recharge the Battery....
    Of course that was before Weed eaters. Now you have the Idea, c'mon you inventors, get us a working model up quickly.
    Last edited by thudpucker; 04-27-2009 at 10:28 PM.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieDentist: Thanks for the advice, if you have a spare motor perhaps we could work out some kind of deal. I look forward to checking out your set up when you are able to post pics, there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about canoe fishing online.

PawPaw: "3 HP Gale Buckaneer sure brings back memories." -- from the photos this thing looks as though it could bring back some memories, has that classic outboard look... I can just see it gurgling along, leaving a trail of rainbow colored water haahaa. As far as small internal combustion engines go, my experience is limited to occasionally working on -- or neglecting to work on -- my lawn mower or rototiller engines... Yep, the grass can get pretty darn tall while I'm drinking coffee and thinking about tinkering with a carburetor. :rolleyes:

ThudPucker: Man, 800 pounds of moose, Alaska, cold weather, what's the deal?!?!? You are outdoors man I take it lol. Actually that model airplane engine generator sounds quite intriguing.

The square back does paddle really nicely. I've taken it on several trips quite a ways up a few slow moving rivers using paddles alone and it does fine. A few times when my kids have been along we pointed the bow toward open water on windy days. Last time we were out there were white caps on the lake and they mentioned something about vikings and Beowulf... when they weren't catching their breath, dodging waves, or nervously manning the bilge bucket that is. This is a great thing to do on days when you would like to have them go to bed early -- that's ah gunna teach 'um. :D

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of weedeaters, I saw a set up where the cutting head was removed and a bushing and prop were installed. It was used somewhat like a go-devil, except it was held in hand. I guess it was a power paddle. Ha.

Thudpucker, now thats a great looking motor you have there. I remember fishing with my father in law years ago where he had a 3 HP Rude on a square end fiberglass canoe. We used it to get into skinny water and jump dams to get to great fishing. I was the trolling motor.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!