Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: engine not getting gas

Post Thanks / Like

Default engine not getting gas

I have an older Merc 115 that gas is getting to the carbs , but not to the plugs and it will not crank, any ideas on the possible problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Low compression, gummed up carbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 115 merc

The gas could be bad if it has been sitting all summer. empty and put new gas.

also on the v6s they have a screen filter on each carb just before the gas goes into the carbs pull these and make sure they are open easy to pull the plastic covers.

if that dont help pull the jets and spray thru them with carb cleaner

or i have sprayed through the fuel hose to open them

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 115 4 cyc - if gas is in the carb bowl and not in the chamber/plug....it is a strange situation. The carb bowls have low and high speed ports. The low speed starting port is in the bottom of carb bowl and can clog shut over the winter - preventing start. If you spray gas into the carb and it starts, the carb ports are plugged. FYI: On these you can have a cold blue spark and it will not ignite the gas - which is a bad plug/coil/wire/electronic ignition package issue. Be sure you have gas in the carb and not water or ethynol. Modern gas with ethonoyl results in settled out alchoal in the botom of the tank and then saturates the pump, buld, line and will not kick the motor.