Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: rod and line help needed

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod and line help needed

I was wondering, when fish are biting light what makes the difference in feeling them better, the line or rod? Please explain...

thanks in advance

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel that the rod is more responsible for being able to feel a light bite. Once the line hits the rod tip and guides, I figure it can deaden or amplify what is being felt on the business end of the line. The lighter, more sensitive the rod, the better the feel. I think the braids and super lines help but it is either made or lost at the tip of the rod.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Light bites are tough to feel no matter what tackle. Lots of times you can see the bite that would'nt be felt. Hence the use of hi-vis yellow line. First, the fish don't seem to mind the bright color. Crappie feed up due to the position of their eyes on their head. So the result is that they come up and hit the bait while they're still rising. The only indicator is the line going slack. I use a bobber sometimes that looks like a stick with a cork in the middle, and these stand up when at rest. A light bite takes the weight off the bottom and the float lays over. I started catching lots more when I became a line watcher. Hope this helps. Tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I think both are very important most of the time i use a ultra lite with a real senstive tip (so senstive you can feel a p-ant walking on the tip) & i,ll use a 4# test line but that being said sometimes you,ll still miss a bite because as stated above they do feed looking up. You,ll never catch them all thats why they call it fishing & not catching. :D

Post Thanks / Like

I like ultralite poles. But there is times you feel no bite but a little resistance, while reeling line in, jerk and fish on. That happens mostly during the winter time. It may happen during the summer. Fish here in Idaho are quite active now and are hitting with authority. I use 6lb. test line all the time. Watch your the tip of your rod if your knot using a bobber. If using a bobber watch for a different movement of your bobber. Remember this, Crappie like a moving target. Reel slow and have fun. I use a slip bobber most of the time. I can go to almost any depth to get into the strike zone. I fished all winter up to know we have taken over 200 crappie.