Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have any of you heard of this

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have any of you heard of this

This past weekend, while I was at the lake, I was talking to a couple of old guys about gardens. They said that if you take the leftovers from your fish after you fillet them and seal them in 5 gallon buckets and let them sit a few months and when you plow, plow them into the ground and you will have one heck of a garden. Have any of you heard of this? And does it work?
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Jiggin_Joe is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My granpa always put the guts in his flower beds after he cleaned them and he had some killer roses. so yeah supose it works

JJ
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jokerpoker/logo.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a gardener, but I would assume it would work.

It sounds like compost without the big stinky pile of poop and junk in the back yard.
    I do know that tossing old veggies and food in the garden works because my grandpa used to do it all the time.
    It Seems to me to be the same basic principle.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to put here....
    Click my Homepage to help me in Gladiatus :D

Post Thanks / Like

Really no need to keep them that long. Just dump the remains in your garden area as you clean them and turn them into the dirt. Nature will take care of the rest.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

Definately works. All the old-timers I know do it!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

My grandpa used to do it and we had enough potatoes to feed a small village on the rows where he dumped the guts...It works...

Post Thanks / Like

Really no need to keep them that long. Just dump the remains in your garden area as you clean them and turn them into the dirt. Nature will take care of the rest.
    Ditto that. Place I used to have I had my garden in beds. I bowfished a lot back then, and I'd bury carp and gar in trenches in those beds. Some years I had to shake the tomato plants to get them to set fruit. It looked like a jungle.

But trust me on this, if you have dogs don't bury your fish. #*$&^%+ will dig them up, roll in them, risk eating them and all those sharp bones....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, have definitely heard of this...we make our own compost from veggies, fruits, eggs shells, etc. to go in our garden. Works great.
    "Fletch had a catch of a lifetime and he was even standing up when he caught it!:p"

Post Thanks / Like

yes it does work. my gradfather use to put it in his garden and my grandmothers flower garden. one year he planted some some orka and it got to be over 6ft tall and thats no lie we had to take a ladder to pick the stuff.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just till them in good or it will not be the last time you see them.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast