Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9' trolling rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default 9' trolling rods

Hi All
    I'm needing to buy a couple of new 9' rods for pulling or long line trolling 1/16 to 1/32 oz. jigs. What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

B & M all the way .
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

i am looking for about the same rods as mark and have narrowed it down to protrollers or westpointcrappie both made by b&m.finally seen some at gandermountain last night but still undiced.once i figure it out i will probally order them from grizzly jig ,they have good prices

Post Thanks / Like

I like BnM as well but I'm not finding anything in the 9' length...am I missing something? What about the Wally Marshall Signature Series Universal Rods? Any opinions on those? Thanks.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

do they have to be 9 foot,if long lining from the front longer poles would probally work better.it would probally keep lines farther away from trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

I would like them to be 9' if possible. I troll 4 out the front, 2-12' and 2-9'. My partner in the back of the boat covers the rest. Thanks.
    Mark

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Mark ....

Quote Originally Posted by markd85 View Post
    I would like them to be 9' if possible. I troll 4 out the front, 2-12' and 2-9'. My partner in the back of the boat covers the rest. Thanks.
    Mark
    The Sam Heatons & the Tenn Handle Float & Fly rods (BnM) both come in 9ft lengths. Heatons are around $52 & FnF's are around $65.
    If all you are trolling with is jigs, and not any heavy sinker rigs or cranks .... pretty much any 9ft rod would work.

If the rod ads tell you ... look for IM6, for a rod that's got a bend that's parabolic (relatively equal over the length of the rod) .... a IM7 is going to be a bit stiffer, and the bend is going to be mostly in the upper end section .... a IM8 is going to be even stiffer, and the bend is going to be mostly at the tip portion.

If I'm not mistaken, the Heatons & Tenn Handle FnF rods are IM6's. You don't want the Duckworth FnF rod (BnM) if you're putting the rods in a rod holder ... their handles may be too short for that.

IF you don't see anything, in the BnM line, that you like ... you may want to look into "Noodle Rods". You may find something in a 9ft length in those. Depending on your price range, you can find them from $40 - $150 .... Okuma, Daiwa, JBI, Cortland, Browning, and Shakespeare all have Noodle Rods in their lineup.

Wally's rods are good rods, far as I can tell. I just didn't like them for my use (mostly casting) because they seemed to be a bit tip heavy. They also have EVA foam handles, and I prefer cork or graphite Tenn handles.

I don't own any rods over 8ft ... so I can't vouch for any of the above suggestions, from a personal use perspective. Just thought I'd throw some suggestions out there, for you to consider.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

+1 crappiepappy suggections

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a bunch crappiepappy and blueball also. I will look into the noodle rods. Also, very good info. on the types of graphite. I had read that long ago but had forgotten which one was which! Thanks.
    Mark
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-25-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: User ID correction

Post Thanks / Like

The WM Sig Series are great rods, both light and sensitive. Only downside to them now is the fact that they really increased the price. Too $$$$ IMO.

The B&M Pro Trollers are great rods also and the price is right. Just found out B&M's customer service is great and thats a huge plus. I think you would be happy with either of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast