Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Moose 1

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Hey Moose 1

Going to Patoka ... I'm leavin' tonite... I'll let you know how they are doin'....
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Patrick

Good luck at Patoka and thanks for letting us know how you did. I went tonight with a neighbor friend and we only caught four small bass and one crappie. Moon didn't come out until after 10:30 PM and by that time my friend was ready to call it quits. He told me that he could fish all night long but he pooped out on me tonight as he had to get up early Saturday to go work. So he was pretty tired and the fish were not really biting tonight. I was fishing a drop off that went from 10ft down to 26 ft and where I had caught lots of crappie during the day. I had fished this spot several times before at high noon and caught lots of crappie. But we fished this spot Saturday evening before dark and until around 11:00PM and the fish were not there. I am still not good at this night fishing stuff. I find it so hard to see as the coleman lantern's light glass off my eyeglasses at night and I can't see beyond my boat. I need to get a shield for the lantern so that the light only shines out toward the water and not in my eyes. Well I tried tonight and will keep trying until I figure this night crappie fishing out.

Hope you do well at Patoka Lake and I look forward to getting your report.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vowell
    Going to Patoka ... I'm leavin' tonite... I'll let you know how they are doin'....
    Patrick
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Moose if you get your lantern above your head the lantern light wont be a problem. we burn three of the tube type coleman northstars , which are very bright, and they arent a problem with reflections. i have two mounted on each side of the deck on the front and one in the center of the boat just in front of the motor. thats a lot more light than most folks need, but i like plenty of light in the boat so i can see whats going on. i have my lanterns around six ft above the boat deck, and when we are sitting they are above our line of vision and the lanterns throw the light out above our heads and they dont glare in our eyes. If they are at head level and iin front of you they will be more of a hindrance than a help. I carry three 20 lb propane tanks for fuel and the poles are six ft 3/4 inch conduit with a hook on the top for the lantern. I have brackets out of one inch pipe flange with a piece of 1 inch galvanized pipe about a ft high to hold the lantern pole. the pole brackets are mounted permanently and the lantern poles are stowed under the rod boxes out of the way till needed.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Propane tanks

Holy Moley! Three 20# tanks, I hope you aren't on an Army Corps lake. They'll figure you for a terrorist planning to blow the dam! Just kidding. I've only got a 16 foot boat and am really crammed for space, a 20# tank is out of the question, and even a third battery would be a problem for space. I've still got to work out a plan for night fishing, something to do on a long cold northern winter.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation hey guys ...

before I ever bought a "shield" for my Coleman lanterns, I used a piece of aluminum foil as a "deflector". I took a piece of aluminum foil and folded it over - then lined the glass globe about 1/2 of the inside circumference. Placing the globe and aluminum foil deflector back onto the lantern, and firing it up, gave me a directional lighting system. I learned this little trick from my Grandparents, back in the early 60's. We fished three out of a boat (wooden rental rowboat of about 14ft) with only the one lantern. The lantern was hung over the side of the boat, by way of sticking the wire handle into the openings between the support slats. The boat itself, and the aluminum deflector shield, kept the light out of our eyes and on the rod tips and water's surface. The only problem encountered was when a passing boat left a large wake, rocking our boat enough to cause the lantern to "dip" into the water - causing the globe to break. A lantern "hanger" would have negated that problem. One also had to be aware of the lantern, when reeling a fish in ... one touch of the line to the lantern (lid or globe) and goodbye fish !!
    After many years of accumulation of Crappie & Bass fishing equipment ... were I to fish at night for Crappie - I'd probably opt for battery operated lights. My first choice would be the "Black Light" system - two bulb style (one black light bulb, one white light bulb) with both bulbs on the same side of the unit (one above the other). Not only because I already have this type of unit - but, I don't have to transport gas or propane and/or the lanterns, themselves (in truck or boat). I have used the lanterns for "camping", and for lighting my apt (during the occasional power outages caused by ice storms & such ...LOL!!), so they haven't gone to waste. :D ..........luck2ya ............cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lantern Hanger

I was going to hang the lantern up higher on my umbrella holder but with the other guy in the boat it would have been right in his face. If you can imagine a umbrella holder holding the umbrella over the top of the bass seat you can see that when a coleman lantern was hung there it would have been in my partners eyes. I need to figure out a way of moutning a base on my boat to hold a lantern holder of some kind. I will have to figure out how to make a lantern holder. I do have a extra 20lb propane tank for my gas grill and I have a lantern pole that can be attached to the lantern and the propane tank. That pole is about 3 or 4ft long and that might work. But my boat is not that big and with two people, two tackle boxes, two coolers (he had to have his for his beer LOL) I was running out of room. I had the Northstar Lantern on the top of my steering console using a homemade PVC pipe that had some velcro glued to the bottom cap of the PVC pipe. I have velcro on my steering console to hold the bracket for my hummingbird LCR8000 depth finder. I moved the depth finder up to the front of my boat's bow where I also have some oak wood that is screwed into the boat's front bow and that has velcro also glued to the wood. That way I can move the depth finders from the front to the back of the boat by the steering console as needed. I put the lantern holder wherever the depth finder is not. But you guys are giving me good ideas. I will try to figure out a way to get the lantern up higher and I was thinking about using some aluminum foil to form a light shield. I may even get some thin sheet metal to do that job. I have a good spotlight that I use at night to see ahead of the boat and I used that the other night to get back to the boat dock. I figured out that the cigarette lighter on the bow of the boat runs off my trolling motor's deep cycle battery while the cigarette lighter at the steering console runs off the main starting battery. I now have a third power source as I just finally purchased a jump starter type battery. This jump starter thing is both a battery charger and a jump starter battery and a 12volt dc power supply. I used this new jump starter device to power my underwater lights. It weights about 19lbs and it's rated at 20amp/hours and has a cold cranking capacity of 450 amps. It should work well for my purposes of running my night lights (150,000 cangle power) and also my American Angler 12 Volt DC electric Filet knife. I gave up on using the rechargable metalhydride battery operated american angler Filet knife as it would not hold it's charge and didn't work very well for me. I plan to return that one to Wal-Mart for a refund soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    Moose if you get your lantern above your head the lantern light wont be a problem. we burn three of the tube type coleman northstars , which are very bright, and they arent a problem with reflections. i have two mounted on each side of the deck on the front and one in the center of the boat just in front of the motor. thats a lot more light than most folks need, but i like plenty of light in the boat so i can see whats going on. i have my lanterns around six ft above the boat deck, and when we are sitting they are above our line of vision and the lanterns throw the light out above our heads and they dont glare in our eyes. If they are at head level and iin front of you they will be more of a hindrance than a help. I carry three 20 lb propane tanks for fuel and the poles are six ft 3/4 inch conduit with a hook on the top for the lantern. I have brackets out of one inch pipe flange with a piece of 1 inch galvanized pipe about a ft high to hold the lantern pole. the pole brackets are mounted permanently and the lantern poles are stowed under the rod boxes out of the way till needed.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default bummin' on Patoka

Lost the bearings in the lower unit due tweeked prop from a previous outing..
    It's late and I'm tired...I will let you know more tommorow.;..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry to hear that man

Hope you get some sleep and get that lower unit fixed ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Vowell
    Lost the bearings in the lower unit due tweeked prop from a previous outing..
    It's late and I'm tired...I will let you know more tommorow.;..
    Regards,

Moose1am