Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eating fish eggs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Eating fish eggs

Can anyone tell me on here wich fish have the best eggs and how do you cook them to eat them. Never had them but very interested in trying them.

Post Thanks / Like

Fried some cappie eggs several weeks ago. Basically just battered them and deep fried them like fish. They were not bad but the texture ws odd. Ia m not much of an egg eater anyway.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Small eggs I fry with just a dusting of Zatarans, large one I split the egg sac so as they can cook fully on the inside, and dust with Zatarans. I usually cook them after cooking the fish. While the grease is still hot, throw them in and cover, then turn off the fire. Let them cook until crispy. The reason to cover, is that they will sometime pop hot grease all over. By the time they're crispy the danger is over.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow perch eggs are #1 in my book, followed closely by bluegills/redears, etc. Crappie are stronger tasting, but none of them are too good if they're over-ripe. Ya wanna stop before they're actively spraying eggs.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with INGrandad, no over ripe eggs and my favorite are crappie eggs although small bass eggs are good also. Gill eggs go right in with the rest. May cher, dats some good eatin yea.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Cajun, I just now looked to see where you're from. No wonder you eat bass eggs, none of us d@mned northerners would do that.

Post Thanks / Like

My dog loves 'em!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

One of our friends comes down to the cleaning station during the spawn and gets the eggs while we're cleaning fish.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Try just smearing them on crackers and eating them like caviar.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation On eating fish eggs ...

.... just be sure and check your state Fish & Wildlife (DNR) website or Rules/Regs booklets, for "Consumption Advisories", as they relate to certain species, or waters/waterways and the fish that are taken from them. Mercury & PCB's are usually the main culprits.
    The General Population is usually not limited, or barely limited, in the consumption advisory .... but, women of childbearing age and children under 6 years of age are usually requested to have a much lower consumption rate. This is in reference to the "flesh" of the target species of fish ... and in some cases, the eggs are listed as "do not eat" (in order to reduce the risk of consuming higher concentrations of these chemical pollutants, which can accumulate in the eggs & fat of the fish).

Here's the online Consumption Advisory for the state of KY :

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife -

Crappie from some waters, are listed ... but, on the whole, are usually far less restricted in most state's consumption advisories.

Just some FYI

... cp

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast