Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie size and daily creel limit - your thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie size and daily creel limit - your thoughts

Georgia has no crappie minimum size limit, Alabama has a 9" statewide minimum size limit but some lakes ( Weiss, Logan Martin, & some others 10" )
    on Grenada Lake, in Miss., it is 12".

Creel limits vary as well, 30 crappie daily on some, 20 on some, & 15 on others.

With better boats, electronincs, tackle, and angler communication on this and other forums, should Crappie Anglers join together, as Bass Anglers have, and try to agree and promote minimum size and creel limits. Maybe even consider keeping only a small certain number of female crappie - full of eggs- in the spring ? All to protect and improve crappie fishing for all of us and our grandchildren ?

I could support a 10" minimum size, 20 day creel limit, and no more than 10 females fat with eggs; and maybe even a 3 rod per angler limit - nationwide..
    Let us hear all of your thoughts to see if we can begin to formulate a plan of action for us all to promote ...... What do you think ????
    Take a Kid fishing, keep only enough to eat, and release the rest to spawn again. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I hate the three rod limit, at least make it an even four! As far as size, I normally do not keep the smaller fish and many times release the bigger fish. It is according to how my year is going. As far as the rest, is all a waste anyway if there is no one to enforce it. I know people on wheeler that keep about any size they catch, they never get checked. It is a judgment call on the "females fat with eggs". Who makes the call?

Don't mind me I'm just blowing off steam since Mercury has me pissed off today. Another story.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

For Alabama I would support a 10 inch min size and a creel limit of 20. As far as the number of poles I believe the faster some people catch fish the faster they will be off the water. Not me, when I get a kitchen pass I count down to the minute before I leave. I dont keep to many usually, just enough to fry up every now and then. I believe each state would have to make their own size limit due to the growing season. I'm from Washington state and if I ever caught a 10 inch Crappie there I think I would have fallen out of my boat, but a fish like that is the norm for here. Do we also limit the amount of hooks used on one line? This is a good topic and I am eager to hear what everyone thinks.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here are my 2 cents!!

I would love to see the size limit increase on most lakes, I don't think it is a one size fits all type of think but many lakes I fish already provide pretty good fishing for fish well over 10" inches. so for most lakes that should be a starting point, I hear of a few lakes that produce a lot of fish that are smaller and for some reason 9" makes more sense according to the state of alabama fish managers. ( bear creek lakes is an example of this according to them ).
    As far as the limit is concern 30 fish is a lot, I would be more than happy with 15 to 20 fish. that will only make people keep even larger fish and will help with the quality of the fishery. I would love to see this done in the waters I fish ( Wheeler and Guntersville ) as a trial for the state. More game wardens are definatelly needed to enforce the laws that is for sure, but we have to be very carefull on this one, since they will increase license cost and so on to pay the salaries. a better idea would be to make the fines pretty hefty for braking the law and get the money that way.
    maybe someone on this forum can spearhead putting a request to the state.
    I now the have public meetings where they accept comment, suggestions and so on. if we can get at least a few thousand people to sign a petition I think they may put it for consideration.
    P.S. this is an execellent tread pop rivers!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that anything should be in stone until a very intense testing is done on the body of water and then when the results are analyzed then the limits should be imposed for each body of water as to keep the fish stock as healthy and productive as possible. Sometimes there might need to be different limits and size restrictions as per the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I think everyone should donate one fish to me every time I go to the lake. At least 15 inches.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with 322251 there needs to be a study on some lakes to see if it will help I know that in some lakes that are smaller then rivers like the bear creek reservoirs the crappie don't grow as big as guntersville or wheeler.My home lake is Guntersville and I would like to see a 11 inch limit and daily creel of 15.I personally practice catch and release and most of the time I throw them back unless there over 10 inch's.Now for the throwing them back if they have eggs I think it would be hard to regulate that one but they could do a catch and release for the months of March and April so it would give the fish time to lay out and start keeping them when there in post spawn.
    Now this is only my two cents worth also.
    James
    James & April Linderman

Vicious Tournament Team Members
    Southern Pro Pro Staff
    HI-Tek Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Size and Creel Limits ?

Good comments so far, keep them coming, we may be on to something here. After we get a few hundred or more responses, we can read others' views, consider other's opinions, and maybe come up with a plan that most crappie anglers could and would support. BEFORE we ask lawmakers in our states to change the laws, I think it would be best if we have some common ground to stand on; and it would certainly help with our legislators ? Keep Talking !!
    Take a Kid fishing, keep only enough to eat, and release the rest to spawn again. Pop

Post Thanks / Like

I can support a creel limit of 15, maybe even 20 as well as a 10" size. The three rod thing is troublesome. I seldom use more than two rods myself, and three at the most; however, crappie tournament fishing is gaining momentum and most pros spider-rig and troll with 8 to 12 rods. Perhaps an exception to a three-rod limit could be made for catch and release tournaments. As with all laws, enforcement is an issue. On the positive side 90% of fishermen and women are law-abiding citizens and will do the right thing. The other 10% will provide job security to game wardens. Bottom line, it really is up to us to make sure our kids and grandkids get to enjoy crappie fishin like we do. Hope Pop Rivers idea gains traction.
    GET THE NET HAROLD, GET THE NET!!

Post Thanks / Like

i say on certain lakes in bama raise it to 12 inches and to 20 per person, lets get some trophy lakes here in alabama and you must be able to speak english to be elgible to keep a crappie in the whole entire state

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast