Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring Crappie Fishing

H. Kamper, Sr. Guest

Default Spring Crappie Fishing

I am from Missouri, and would really like to do some spring crappie fishing there. I hear there are some real slabs just waiting to get caught. When is the best time to plan on spring fishing ?
    Thanks for your replys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by H. Kamper, Sr.
    I am from Missouri, and would really like to do some spring crappie fishing there. I hear there are some real slabs just waiting to get caught. When is the best time to plan on spring fishing ?
    Thanks for your replys.

hard to go wrong any time in Apil or May. Nearly every reservoir in the state boasts a good population of fish. You can fish Bull shoals and Table Rock in the SW, Wappapello in the SE, Mark Twain in the NE, Smithville in the NW, and Truman and Lake of the Ozarks in the central part of the state. There are marinas and guides all around and crappie caught all over the state. You also may want to look into Stockton, Pomme de Terre, and Norfork lakes. They are all good sized bodies of water as well that support nice fish.
    Missouri-Fishing.com! Total Fishing Resource for Missouri Anglers!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm from Missouri too

Quote Originally Posted by H. Kamper, Sr.
    Thanks for your replys.

Welcome to the Board you will find that there is a lot of good people here that are willing to help. Like Moose1am said, you will miss out on some good crappie fishing if you wait to fish in the spring. I know that fall and winter fishing not like the spawn, but it is challenging and I’ve had more fun then.

What part of Missouri are you from? And what lake do you fish? I live in Syracuse; it’s about 20 miles east of Sedalia. I normally fish Truman Lake and there is a small lake south of Tipton that I fished a few times, but never had any luck at all there, but I did see a crappie pulled out of it once. Most of the time I’m fishing this small lake is to put the boat on the water with out driving all the way to Truman. You may think about filling out your profile it’s a great help when people are trying to help you.

Oh if you are in my area and want someone to go fishing with drop me a PM. Only one thing I’m not a guide and can’t guaranty we will catch anything, but always looking for fishing buddies.
    Last edited by stray; 08-17-2005 at 10:23 AM.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

kamper, drop me a pm and will try to get you pointed in the right direction. I wet a line every now and then. Follow some of the others here and you should get lots of help. I fish Truman, LOZ and Mark Twain when I get some time away from work. Also fish that lake south of Tipton in an above comment, but compared to the ones I mentioned it can't compete with them day in and day out. Thomas Hill, Smithville, Stockton, TableRock are all quality lakes, but which would you fish more often based on your location. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp
    kamper, drop me a pm and will try to get you pointed in the right direction. I wet a line every now and then. Follow some of the others here and you should get lots of help. I fish Truman, LOZ and Mark Twain when I get some time away from work. Also fish that lake south of Tipton in an above comment, but compared to the ones I mentioned it can't compete with them day in and day out. Thomas Hill, Smithville, Stockton, TableRock are all quality lakes, but which would you fish more often based on your location. Bruce

Bruce, as I said I only go to that lake south of Tipton for 2 reasons. One is I have done some work on the boat or not had it out for a while. And the other is I just have a couple hours to get away and 10 miles is a lot better than 60 miles for both of those situations. I know Lake Ozark is closer to me than Truman, but I haven’t fished Ozark before and not sure about getting my little 16ft Basstracker with 35hp motor on it during the summer. I’m thinking about trying it late this fall and winter, but I need to get a good map to have some idea where I’m going.

Kevin

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stray
    Bruce, as I said I only go to that lake south of Tipton for 2 reasons. One is I have done some work on the boat or not had it out for a while. And the other is I just have a couple hours to get away and 10 miles is a lot better than 60 miles for both of those situations. I know Lake Ozark is closer to me than Truman, but I haven’t fished Ozark before and not sure about getting my little 16ft Basstracker with 35hp motor on it during the summer. I’m thinking about trying it late this fall and winter, but I need to get a good map to have some idea where I’m going.

Kevin
    Kevin, your boat will do good this winter down at LOZ. Usually late Sept or early Oct the big boats are put away. Once and awhile you will find one or 2 but nothing to worry about. I will fish from Sept thru early May. A good place for you to put in at is at the Gravois Mills ramp on Hwy 5. There is some good fishing in those parts and just work your way down to Indian Creek hitting the docks. Just look for ones that people are fishing, look for cleaning stations, or fishing boats on the lifts. Also if you go thru Eldon on Hwy Y will take to another ramp at Coffman beach, which is also on the Gravois Arm. Both of these ramps are free, there are other ramps that u can use on other parts but will cost you 5 to 10 bucks to launch.

That lake in Tipton is like the dead sea here in Jeff City called Binder Lake.
    Last edited by TAE73; 08-18-2005 at 09:18 AM.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, TAE provided good advice and I would second that info. The Gravois is a great place to fish after September. I also like the area from Hurricane Deck to about the 60mm on the Osage. Good fishing, lots of water and not many fishermen. Buy a couple of "HOT SPOTS" maps of LOZ, they are a great place to start with info on dropoffs, brushpiles and possible crappie hangouts. But fish with a couple of folks, talk with baitshops and learn the areas and you will usually catch fish. But expect a poor day every once in a while, weather or whatever may occasionally mess your day. Good luck, Syracuse is a nice place to live. bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin, fish Truman or Mark Twain in the summer, you boat will normally have no problem with conditions on those lakes. LOZ requires a larger boat to fish during the summer unless you fish way upriver on the Osage.