Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BPS Excel line...

Post Thanks / Like

Default BPS Excel line...

I have used BPS Excel line on my spinning tackle since the mid nineties. I liked everything about it, and it was limp enough to handle great on open face spinning...but things have changed :O(

I guess last year they switched to having it made in China and i don't care what they claim it is different! It's much stiffer, especially in cold weather, they are now putting it on the spool backwards (used to always be lable up, now its label down when you spool it on). They put some kind of line notch on the back of the spool and now since you have to lay it label down to put on without a twist the line catches in the line holder notch.

You know I would have gladly paid two, three, even five dollars more per spool (it was always a great value anyway) if they had left it alone, and continued to make the fine line they did for the last 15 years.

Someone new to using this brand line may not realize how sorry it has become, but I have been through many many spools in my time and i think I just purchased my last one!

On a side note...i am interested in trying the Mr. Crappie high vis line...please don't tell me that it is a BPS house brand that is now made as sorry as Excel?

My two cents. Jimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up on the BPS line.

We have been using it for about 5 years now. My dad bought two 3000 yard spools and we still have a full spool. I was thinking about trying out some 4 lb but now I guess I wont since the quality has taken a nose dive.

Post Thanks / Like

yes mr. crappie used to be great line also. it was made in the USA and was the best crappie line i had ever used. about a year or so ago they started making it in taiwain . now it has lots of memory and it very stiff. dont waste your money buying either . i am still looking for a great inexpensive line to replace them both with.

Post Thanks / Like

i have that on all my spinning reels right now is mr crappie #4 lb and i have not yet have had any issues with it. the one thing i do like about the mr crappie is that i can see the line a whole lot better with these old eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Bigfish5, is there such a thing as a 'great' 'inexpensive' line????? I'm trying Suffix Braid on a reel this week end for the first time. Won't be doin much casting with it, just dabbin, and I'm curious to see how it works. Mr. Crappie WAS good, but it has goe to "China" in a hand cart. I have had good luck with some of the flurocarbons. Have you used any of those??

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone raved about that Mr Crappie line early last year, so I broke down and bought some. Must have been a China batch 'cause it sucked!! Lots of memory, knicked easily, and was really junk. I've been using 4" Trilene and the only problem I had with it was it wanted to jump off of the spool. That was my fault as I have learned that I was overfilling the spool. Now I leave a good 1/8" to the edge of the spool and the Trilene works fine.

Jeff
    Skeeter Jeff
    Indianapolis, IN

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to hear about the Excel. I've used a bunch of it over the years, and it was a great line for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear that about the Excel line I've used it since the 1980's and it's always been excellent. I still have some stock of the 10 lb and 14 lb. but sad to hear it's gone done the drain, but your post has saved me some money as I was just getting ready to order some.

The old axiom really applies IF IT AIN"T BROKE DON"T FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I to have been using it for 20 years and got a new spool last summer noticed the difference before i filled the first reel it is also alarger dia. the 6# feels like 18 or 20 # won't be getting anymore.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

Thats BPS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast