PDA

View Full Version : BPS Excel line...

JimmyCricket
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
I have used BPS Excel line on my spinning tackle since the mid nineties. I liked everything about it, and it was limp enough to handle great on open face spinning...but things have changed :O(

I guess last year they switched to having it made in China and i don't care what they claim it is different! It's much stiffer, especially in cold weather, they are now putting it on the spool backwards (used to always be lable up, now its label down when you spool it on). They put some kind of line notch on the back of the spool and now since you have to lay it label down to put on without a twist the line catches in the line holder notch.

You know I would have gladly paid two, three, even five dollars more per spool (it was always a great value anyway) if they had left it alone, and continued to make the fine line they did for the last 15 years.

Someone new to using this brand line may not realize how sorry it has become, but I have been through many many spools in my time and i think I just purchased my last one!

On a side note...i am interested in trying the Mr. Crappie high vis line...please don't tell me that it is a BPS house brand that is now made as sorry as Excel?

My two cents. Jimmy

smashdn
04-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the BPS line.

We have been using it for about 5 years now. My dad bought two 3000 yard spools and we still have a full spool. I was thinking about trying out some 4 lb but now I guess I wont since the quality has taken a nose dive.

bigfish5
04-21-2009, 07:59 AM
yes mr. crappie used to be great line also. it was made in the USA and was the best crappie line i had ever used. about a year or so ago they started making it in taiwain . now it has lots of memory and it very stiff. dont waste your money buying either . i am still looking for a great inexpensive line to replace them both with.

ga.crappie&breamguy
04-21-2009, 08:53 AM
i have that on all my spinning reels right now is mr crappie #4 lb and i have not yet have had any issues with it. the one thing i do like about the mr crappie is that i can see the line a whole lot better with these old eyes.

jimmydee1
04-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Bigfish5, is there such a thing as a 'great' 'inexpensive' line????? I'm trying Suffix Braid on a reel this week end for the first time. Won't be doin much casting with it, just dabbin, and I'm curious to see how it works. Mr. Crappie WAS good, but it has goe to "China" in a hand cart. I have had good luck with some of the flurocarbons. Have you used any of those??

SkeeterJeff
04-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Everyone raved about that Mr Crappie line early last year, so I broke down and bought some. Must have been a China batch 'cause it sucked!! Lots of memory, knicked easily, and was really junk. I've been using 4" Trilene and the only problem I had with it was it wanted to jump off of the spool. That was my fault as I have learned that I was overfilling the spool. Now I leave a good 1/8" to the edge of the spool and the Trilene works fine.

Jeff

blairarnold
04-21-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear about the Excel. I've used a bunch of it over the years, and it was a great line for the price.

Fatman
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
Sorry to hear that about the Excel line I've used it since the 1980's and it's always been excellent. I still have some stock of the 10 lb and 14 lb. but sad to hear it's gone done the drain, but your post has saved me some money as I was just getting ready to order some.

The old axiom really applies IF IT AIN"T BROKE DON"T FIX IT!!!!!!!!

Fatman

thankfull
04-21-2009, 06:26 PM
I to have been using it for 20 years and got a new spool last summer noticed the difference before i filled the first reel it is also alarger dia. the 6# feels like 18 or 20 # won't be getting anymore.

foul hook
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Thats BPS!

labsnslabs
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
I fish the suffix braid exclusivly and love it. It is pricey but I mostly dip trees so I can back my reels with cheap mono and I don't go through much at all. I would recommend suffix to anyone, well worth the money. And the sensitivity is second to none.

bigfish5
04-21-2009, 10:02 PM
Bigfish5, is there such a thing as a 'great' 'inexpensive' line????? I'm trying Suffix Braid on a reel this week end for the first time. Won't be doin much casting with it, just dabbin, and I'm curious to see how it works. Mr. Crappie WAS good, but it has goe to "China" in a hand cart. I have had good luck with some of the flurocarbons. Have you used any of those??
the old excell bass pro line was all i used bass fishing for about 17 years. the mr. crappie WAS the best crappie line i had ever used. both were very inexpensive. but now i have been trying other lines. right now i am trying some gama high viz. its ok but not even close to being as limp as the old mr.crappie. suffix is what i plan on trying next and if i dont like it i will try vicious panfish. hopefully one of those lines will work.

bigfish5
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM

i cant see fluorcarbon line. i wont fish with a crappie line i cant see. i catch more fish watching the line than i feel bite.

skeetbum
04-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I was a fan of BPS offshore angler brand 4 and 6lb hi vis line, bought a 3000 yd spool of both. All I have found in 5 stores was in Macon,ga- they had some 6lb. Guess Mr.Crappie shoved it off the shelf. Good success with it so far. Cheap too.

fishinron
04-21-2009, 11:17 PM
cricket your right i just bought some to. im taking it all back and tell them im not going to buy it any more. i bought 6lb. and 14 lb. put the 6 lb. on and very dissatisfied had alot of trouble with it. it is terrible just like all that stuff that comes from china.also i will tell them that you and other people are not going to buy it either. i been using it a long time it has been the best line for the price.like you say i would even pay more for it because i liked it better than any other line. i think excel is made from stren. i would say that is bass pro biggest seller in fishing line. good luck fishing later

Arkie John
04-22-2009, 12:38 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Mr. Crappie hi-vis line is substandard line nowadays. It has so much memory that even after just a couple fishing trips, it begins to twist and it is contrary about coming back on spinning equipment.

I fish a lot and I have to change out my reels every TWO weeks. If I don't, I lose fishing time because of all the issues.

If I can ever find where Gamma Co-Polymer Hi Vis is stocked, I'm gonna buy me a BUNCH of the stuff. Even though I have never used it, it comes highly recommended from members of this forum.

The problem I have with the Gamma is that no one carries the hi-vis versions. Even the last time I made an inquiry to BPS and Cabalas, they did not have it.

aj

cricket george
04-22-2009, 05:39 AM
You all may want to try Berkley Big Game in their "Solar Collector" line. I guess luckily BPS was out of 10# in OKC and I found the Solar Collector hi vis line in 10# at Academy. I paid $7.49 for 1500 yards I think.

REDEYE50
04-22-2009, 06:26 AM
IF YOU HAVEN'T TRIED VICIOUS fishing line give it a try. IT COMES IN CLEAR, GREEN, CLEAR BLUE AND HI-VIS. STRONG STUFF AND NO MEMORY. YOU CAN GET IT ONLINE OR GRIZZLY JIG SELLS IT ALSO. MADE IN THE USA. THEY ALSO MAKE A FLOROCARBON AND BRAID.

wwwUncle
04-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Everyone raved about that Mr Crappie line early last year, so I broke down and bought some. Must have been a China batch 'cause it sucked!! Lots of memory, knicked easily, and was really junk. I've been using 4" Trilene and the only problem I had with it was it wanted to jump off of the spool. That was my fault as I have learned that I was overfilling the spool. Now I leave a good 1/8" to the edge of the spool and the Trilene works fine.

Jeff

Braids also work better if you stop at 1/8 inch below the front edge of the spool.

JimmyCricket
04-22-2009, 12:04 PM
Has anyone tried Silver Thread? The AN40 comes in some weird color, but the Super Silver Thread comes in clear and green...no hi-vis unfortunatly.

The reason I ask is a buddy told me he thought the Silver Thread people (Pradco) made the Excel for BPS when it was American made...he may be right, both are co-polymers and have a slick finish. If Silver thread only made a bright color :O(

You know this could turn into a total rant about corporate greed and the whole world going to h*** in a Rickshaw (Chinese taxi LOL)...but it just really urks me when the corporations send the work overseas and say don't worry, we will make sure they keep our high standards...yeah right!

Of course we have all been brainwashed into a Walmart mentality of "cheap" is best.

deathb4disco
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
You know this could turn into a total rant about corporate greed

We get those regularly.

it just really urks me when the corporations send the work overseas

Corporations (both foreign and domestic) go to countries that are friendly to business. Unfortunately, the US has become less and less friendly. We currently have the second-highest corporate tax rate in the world and very high individual rates. We also have comparatively high labor costs and loads of business rules and regulations. You can't blame the corporations for doing what any sensible person would do.

Of course we have all been brainwashed into a Walmart mentality of "cheap" is best.

You could also say we've been brainwashed into a BnM/Bass Pro Shop mentality of "cheap" is best. All of their crappie gear is made in China. I say that as a proud owner of six BnM poles and a load of BPS gear.

There is very little fishing tackle made in the US anymore, and what is made here is not cheap. I'm sure Orvis and Sage would be happy to sell $400 crappie poles, but who would buy them?

Fatman
04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Well now that the Excel is shot it's time to find new line. A buddy of mine has some of Cabela's Pro Line brand line and it seems okay

Cabela's ProLine® Original Monofilament Fish Line (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0003113&navCount=3&parentId=cat600392&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat600392&parentType=index&indexId=cat600392&rid=)

For $8.99 I'll give a spool a try and see if I like it, if not I can always make crappie spreaders out of it LOL

Fatman

Fatman
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
Well now that the Excel is shot it's time to find new line. A buddy of mine has some of Cabela's Pro Line brand line and it seems okay

Cabela's ProLine® Original Monofilament Fish Line (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0003113&navCount=3&parentId=cat600392&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat600392&parentType=index&indexId=cat600392&rid=)

It has 5 different colors so one of them hopefully will work. For $8.99 I'll give a spool a try and see if I like it, if not I can always make crappie spreaders out of it LOL

Fatman

poppop
04-22-2009, 06:23 PM

It has 5 different colors so one of them hopefully will work. For $8.99 I'll give a spool a try and see if I like it, if not I can always make crappie spreaders out of it LOL

Fatman

I have spooled some of that in 6 pound test hi-vis. I like it...its limp and works very well. I like it better than the older Mr. Crappie line...I just don't think the hi-vis is quite as bright as Mr. Crappie.

Fatman
04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
poppop

thanks for the info on the Cabela's line. I was gonna try the bluish one I've never tried the Mr. Crappie line.

Fatman

BigSandyRookie
04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
Because Mr. Crappie went to Taiwan and the line started twisting, I bought a spool of P-Line CXX 6lb. test. I was excited b/c although not expensive, it was the most I'd spent on crappie line and I had high expectations. That stuff twisted unlike anything I'd ever seen!! I switched back to the MR. Crappie (Taiwan) just so I could fish! It was very visible..like Mr. Crappie, but a total hassle while fishing. I even stretched my line a couple of times thinking that I'd spooled it wrong. Still twisted like nothing I'd ever seen! I guess I'll try Cabela's next.