Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor battery?

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor battery?

I have owned a Excide Orbital now for some 5 yrs now with no issues.. but she's just getting old and tired... Anyway to get those older 6 pack type Excides to rejuvinate themselves? I thought about adding some battery acid but not all of these use that...My battery tops can be removed and serviced I recon.. Just not quite sure how it's made and what's in it.. I know it's wrapped gel packs inside the battery.. So do they use battery acid around them or water? Inquiring minds need to know... Any help would sure be appreciated.. That or a name of a good battery place that sells them....
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

Do not add acid to any battery unless it's been spilled, especially a gel or AGM. It won't help. Orbitals are sealed batteries. The only way to rejuvenate it is to buy a new one and recycle the old one.

Takeum is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Catfan... I'll do just that... Batteries today aren't the same as yesterdays batteries for sure.... I appreciate your advice,.
    Ranger boats
    Perotti pro holders
    Avery outdoors superstore

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Battery re-cycle program on TV. Yup on re-cycle. Its the best thing we can do.
    I beleive the newer batteries are cheaper, but just as good if not better. As a Kid, I used to dig the tar out of the top seal on the battery.
    Lift the whole plate assembly out of the big plastic/rubber box.
    Then I could clean out the gunk in the bottom of the box, that originally was part of the plate/grid assembly, but had fallen off and was down in the bottom of the case and in some cases was actually shorting out the cells.

We could buy all that stuff back in the 50's, but to get a little more life out of a Battery, thats what I did and it'd work.
    Now days it's best for all concerned to buy a new one, and be sure to give the dealer the old one. And watch that program on TV if you ever get the chance.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D