Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Finally a Good Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally a Good Trip!

Not to often that we get a good crappie trip in the Spring. Usually bad weather, or lock jaw but this was our first trip to MS. The first day we went up to Sardis and did very well. Didn't do as well on Grenada on Friday, but still caught a few big crappie.

It felt strange throwing back nice and plump 12" crappies. The size difference in crappie is something else and really enjoyed the trip down south. Also got my first spider rigging experience and that is actually a lot of fun. Takes a bit to get used to throwing around those 14' poles.

Name:  SardisCrappie1.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  SardisCrappie.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  39.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta learn this spider rigging thing.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure looks like fun. Glad you had a great trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I had heard about spider rigging, but I figured it maybe more trouble than anything. There was an occasional tangle, but overall it was very fun and not much hassle at all. Heading to Cabela's tomorrow to get the Tite-Lok setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish. Thanks for the report. WTG

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Were the fish you caught up shallow or still in the channels?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Those Sippi lakes will spoil you!!! Nice fish

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great time. Congrats.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, rather to skid in sideways, body used up and totally worn out screaming 'WOO~HOO what a ride!'

Post Thanks / Like

We started on Sardis Thursday and it was so windy and rough at the dam we just shot straight across the lake to a cove that was 4 - 5 feet all through it. We would go to one side with the spider rig and basically just drifted all through the cove. The rigs were only 3 - 4 foot deep and that's where we caught the majority of our fish. We went out with John Woods that first day which was great. Good guy, who fishes a lot crappie tourneys and learned a lot from him.

Friday we went to Grenada and went all the way up to the end back in the cyprus trees and we were catching them in 2 - 3 fow just dipping trees. We didn't have the spider rig on Grenada. From what we heard from everyone we talked to was that is was very slow all day. We would pull out 1 keeper out and then we couldn't get another one to bite until we hit up a new spot. I think between our 2 boats on Friday from Grenada we only had about 13 keepers.

Seems like the weather down there has been messing up the patterns pretty bad and it was rather rough fishing. Both days had 15-20 mph winds, which makes those lakes VERY rough, then by 3 or 4 they would calm down. We got rained out on Saturday and headed back a day early

Speck, it sure will spoil you. I couldn't believe the size of them crappie. You can pull out some big ones around here every great while but it was one after another down there. Will definetely be back, and the hospitality was great.
    Last edited by CallWhy816; 04-20-2009 at 01:50 PM.