Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Fireline Crystal ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions on Fireline Crystal ?

I've always used mono , but would like to cast further and have more sensitivity with less stretch. Was thinking of 4lb. Fireline crystal, I fish in stained to semi stained water. Does it spook fish ? Any pros or cons ? -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I use it, and it's "supposed to be clear, but to me it looks white. I always use 18"-24" of fluorocarbon leader. Dont know for sure if it makes any real difference, but it certainly doesn't hurt. With the fluoro, you also keep the sensitivity since it doesn't stretch like mono either.

Double uni knot is best for tying on on the leader.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used it for crappies per-se. I use it on a baitcaster for bass and walleye. I Do really like the line. It isnt clear, it does appear white, but once it gets below the water, it does tend to dissappear. If your fishing ultra clear water, dont bother. Evidently, they make this line all the way down to 1/2lb test, and if it were me, id make an order staight to berkley and try that size. Its breaking point i about 1.5 to 2x its test label, not quite as strong as normal braid, but still strong, and id imagine the diameter migh be nigh unto baby hair at that size.
    It does seem a bit stiff, at least in the 10lb test. I tried using a roadrunner on it one night when the bass werent biting. The line was sensitive, but not really anymore than my crappie setups. Now when i would use a heavier bait on the fireline, the sesitivity went way up.
    I dont see me trying it anytime soon, but i do think you could make it work, just might take some testing to get the right line size.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Default No Thanks

I didn't care for it. The white color isn't a confident builder. Also I like a like stretch to my line. my 2¢

Post Thanks / Like

Used it on a jig pole down here. Very stiff for braid, which might or might not be a bad thing. Didn't care for the color, was extremely hard to see compared to low vis braids even. Was very tough though. If you plan to cast, not sure you're gonna get any additional distance due to it's stiffness. Might wear down a little and get more supple with more use though.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, it pretty much looks white to me so i stick to the dark green tinted line when in darker water, but other than that not to terrible of a line.

Post Thanks / Like

I use that 1/2 lb diameter fireline with some mono backing and leader. Great for throwing 1/32 oz beetle spins and shaky head berkley mini crawlers. I think it does get somewut supple after a period of use.
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Beginning this spring I have been using fireline in 4#, 6#, and 8#. So far I have noticed several things. 1. The fireline casts extremely well it will easily outcast mono. 2. Sensitivity is unbelievable the light taps are fantastic. 3. It does NOT stretch, but is very strong and will normally straighten out a hook. 4. I was originally concerned about it spooking fish, but the first use of it was in very very clear water, and the fish were shallow, nary a problem, caught them beautifully. And that was using the fluorescent green not the crystal. 5. The biggest complaint other than cost is if it is windy the light weight of the stuff will allow it to develop a larger bow in the line, but it didn't cause a problem as you could still feel the hits. I have been under impressed by fireline on my casting reels but unless soomething drastic changes my mind I have used my last mono on a spinning reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Will it glow with a blacklight for night fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

I use it for quite a few different applications. I got a "good deal" on a fairly large quantity of it a few years ago and am still using that, but would probably buy it again in the future.

It's very stiff straight off the spool, but seems to soften after a few fishing trips, and it's very durable. I really like it for vertical jigging stuff. I especially like it for jig-poling bream (crappie too, although I've used it more for bream) in heavy cover because it saves me retying time and jigs. I can usually straighten the hook out. It's also much more sensitive than mono.

I do think fish see it easier than mono in clear, shallow water, but I don't know about other types of braid. It's fairly subtle a foot or two under the surface.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast