Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: High Rock 4-19

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High Rock 4-19

One of my guides and myself decided to go try Abbotts Creek for some crappie on Sunday morning. We tried fishing shallow for about an hour with little results. We got out the deep rods and went out to the 20 feet range at the mouths of coves. Bingo. The fish were right on the bottom in 20 feet of water. We easily caught about 50 with only about 25 of them being keepers. None were monsters with the biggest being about 12 inches long and several 10 inch fish. I don't think any of these crappie had eggs in them. We returned all to the water to save them for guide trips. We had a lot of fun until the rain came about 12:30 pm. Good luck.

Yadkin Guide

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the report Maynard...are you thinking they have spawned out...as you guys were catching mostly males?

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawned Out????

I am not sure what has happened. I haven't caught a crappie that is tight with eggs in a week. They are apparently spawning deeper this year or they have spawned out. One other answer is (I hope not) they are not going to spawn and are absorbing their eggs back into their body. I don't think this is the case though because that usually takes a long time for this to happen. I will say that it has been one of the screwiest years I can remember for crappie. I have seen largemouth act like this but it was due to water levels dropping along with the weather being screwy. The water has stayed pretty full and consistent so I really don't think this is the case. One thing about fishing is that just about the time you think you have them figured out, they throw something new at you.

Yadkin Guide

Post Thanks / Like

I fished High Rock Friday afternoon & Sunday morning and it seemed like I caught more males in shallow than females. A friend @ work went Thursday and trolled deep and said he caught mostly females so I think the big spawn would be coming up.