Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slab daddy jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default slab daddy jigs?

quick question, just bought some of these couple days ago, looked really good, and turns out they work really well too. However, after the very first fish i would catch on one, the chenille would come apart, after 2 fish, i was basicly just a jig head, because the chenille and the feathers would be gone???
    Anything i can do about that? Also, i bought them at bass pro shops, and they were marked down about a $1, and they were still very pricy($2.87 for 4 jigs).
    Would really like to continue using these, but if they fall apart at that rate, and priced the way they are, thats worse than loosing a muskie bait when ya do the math.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Grizzly jigs web site and look up Simpson jigs if you like hand tied jigs. They will not come apart. These are the best hand tied jigs I have ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a bunch you want to try to save, you could try putting some super glue (fly tying flexement would be better) where the chenille meets the jig head. Doesn't take much, should hold the chenille, but not sure if it will lock in the tail.

If you want some quality jigs, look at the crappie business directory up top, lots of members on here make very nice ones that won't fall apart on you.

Post Thanks / Like

I can assure you mine will not come apart at all. Have people catch over 300 fish on one single jig.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

yep give skips jigs a try and also laserdocs jigs. both are a pice of fine pice of craftmanshiip and will not fall apart. you will lose your jig before it falls apart on you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly910 View Post
    quick question, just bought some of these couple days ago, looked really good, and turns out they work really well too. However, after the very first fish i would catch on one, the chenille would come apart, after 2 fish, i was basicly just a jig head, because the chenille and the feathers would be gone???
    Anything i can do about that? Also, i bought them at bass pro shops, and they were marked down about a $1, and they were still very pricy($2.87 for 4 jigs).
    Would really like to continue using these, but if they fall apart at that rate, and priced the way they are, thats worse than loosing a muskie bait when ya do the math.

HB
    Use head cement you can buy in a fly shop. That should take care of the problem them coming apart. Ken

Post Thanks / Like

most jigs you buy at Bass pro and walmart are made in China on a machine, Both Skip and I tie are jigs by hand and will last until you snag them and loose them,, You may pay a little more for a custom tied jig but it will last you alot longer. So it works out cheaper in the long run
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-20-2009 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

using glue on the chenille of a finished jig ruins the plushness of the chenille. It dries hard as a rock. they are not made right, simple as that. skip makes some real quality chenille bodied jigs, and get the exact color ya want too! also it apears that those slab daddies have a double layer of chenille, that is not as secure as a single layer wrap, I know because Iv'e tied some like that.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Skip and Laser Doc. A hand tied jig is way better than anyone I ever bought from a store. That is why I started tying my own. There are plenty of videos in the fly tying section. Why not give it a try and tie a few for yourself. I guarantee you will like it not to mention the thrill of catching fish on a jig you personally tied. Here are two sample videos to get you started. http://www.crappie.com/crappie/archi...ng-videos.html

CHENILLE JIG VIDEO

YouTube - Lego My Fly

Wrap the starter thread on the hook shank. Add a drop of super glue. Tie in a two tone marabou tail. Add a drop of super glue.Tie in Krystal flash. Double over and add a half hitch knot. Begin to tie in the chenille and black striping or variegated chenille at the end of the tail feathers. (I only prefer my chenille body to be about 1/3 of the entire hook length. Usually about four turns.) Strip off some of the fibers so the inner thread is exposed and wrap that with the tying thread. Then bring the tying thread to the front. Wrap the chenille tightly about four turns to the front. Secure with a half hitch knot. Wrap the stripes to the front of the jig hook. Secure with two half hitch knots. Cut the extra off close to the jig body. Add a drop of super glue. Hang the fly to dry.

WOOLY BUGGER VIDEO

Woolly Bugger

Hope this helps some.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Jigum Jigs. They last thru many fish and have a great assortment of colors including the famous "Grasshopper".

Jigum Jigs Catch Fish!
    Good fishing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast