Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie and perch flies?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie and perch flies?

Hi everyone, I'm looking to start fly fishing for these guys, and am looking for some durable effective patterns I can tie up and keep in my car for my short trips to the lake between classes. I haven't gone after these guys much with the long rod, so any help would be appreciated. I've caught plenty of sunfish, so I have that down (not like they are too picky).

Thanks!

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie flies

Hi from NENC,
    New to fly fishing myself , NC Wildlife Mag has an article on fly fishing for crappie this month..........the following flies are listed........

White Marabou Streamer
    Bucktail Streamer
    Shenks Minnow
    chartreuse Curly Tail grub
    Conehead Bugger
    Clouser Minnow
    The Pauxent Special
    olive Wooly Bugger
    black Wooly Bugger
    Shenk`s Minnow (fatter version)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spring flying for crappie

justin:

I used to fly fish the streams up here in MI for browns, brookies, and rainbows a lot. Used many patterns depending on what was hatching, etc. Trout are much more cautious and fickle fish than crappie IMO.

The list that Pat posted are all good ones and if you look, many are flashy patterns. I think that is prolly the key for slabs. Last year at spawn I fished exclusively w/ flies. Although I caught some crappie on dry flies, it seems like the gills would take them more often. The wet fly took the crappie, and the gawdier the better.

Hope that helps.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught a few incidental perch, but never have been able to target them. I don't think they're structure oriented and that's probably why I only stumble on them once in a while. Wish I knew knew more about fly fishing for them.

So far as flies, I'd say that's a good list that Pat's provided. I'm big on the Clauser minnows, about as true a minnow representation as there is. Pretty simple to tie also.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the clouser's for trout. I've been fly fishing for about 10 years so I'm just looking to diversify. I have caught some perch on dragonfly type nymphs, but never consistently (but I've also not bothered before.) If you're gonna have a fish fry, why not fly fish and have the most fun possible in the process?

Thanks for the input so far.

Justin.

Post Thanks / Like

Any small minnow pattern will take crappie. The Clouser is a good option (as INgrandad suggested), but so is a simple bead head woolly buggerin white or chartreuse. (I like 'em without the hackle.)

Almost any standard trout fly witll take bluegills. Traditional nymphs like pheasant tails, prince, GRHE work great. Small, dark colored woolly buggers are also good. I like bead heads on all my sinking flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a simple pattern that I have caught many crappie on, as well as other species.

Hook: 3x-4x long streamer hook
    Bead: gold tungsten
    Tail: marabou
    Body: Polar Chenille

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Okie, that's a good pattern. However, if I may make a suggestion, you might try to back away from the fly (Your camera-subject) a little more, then zoom up to it. It seems you may have been too close for your camera lens's minimum focal length.
    You do have the right idea for mounting the fly - good job there.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,
    Thanks for the advice. I got a digital camera for Christmas and am still learning how to use the macro function. Some of my fly photos have turned out better than others, LOL.
    Steve