Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport pond

Post Thanks / Like

Default Airport pond

Decided to head to the airport pond and do some bass fishing. I threw a worm for 30 minutes without a pickup so I switched to a #3 Mepps Spinner. In the next hour I caught two 14 and one 15 inch bass and one 18 inch channel cat. We have had close to 2 inches of rain in the past 24 hours and the temperature was about 15 degrees cooler than this time yesterday. We don't eat bass and I wasn't going to mess with cleaning one channel, so they all lived to fight another day.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

I hit the airport pond again this afternoon for about 75 minutes. My third cast netted a 12.5 inch bass. I later caught a 13 inch and one just a couple of inches bigger than my Mepps Spinner. On my way back to town I passed the woods where I hunt squirrel and gave some thought about seeing if the bushytails were active. After pondering the issure for several seconds I concluded it was a bad idea. Today is my 46th wedding anniversary and I told my wife I would take her out to dinner tonight. I sure didn't want to be late for our date, especially since she worked all day while I was out fishing. She still reminds me that I cut our honeymoon short by several days in order to get back home in time for opening day of squirrel season. After 46 years you would think she would have forgotten that incident.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, I have spending too much time with my fishing poles and not enough time with my squirrel dogs. I am going to quit fishing for a day and run my squirrel dog Scout tommorrow. After the first frost squirrel hunting with dogs gets much better. I still get a few with the leaves on though.
    I am fortunate, Frances Gail fishs and hunts with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieken
    I hit the airport pond again this afternoon for about 75 minutes. My third cast netted a 12.5 inch bass. I later caught a 13 inch and one just a couple of inches bigger than my Mepps Spinner. On my way back to town I passed the woods where I hunt squirrel and gave some thought about seeing if the bushytails were active. After pondering the issure for several seconds I concluded it was a bad idea. Today is my 46th wedding anniversary and I told my wife I would take her out to dinner tonight. I sure didn't want to be late for our date, especially since she worked all day while I was out fishing. She still reminds me that I cut our honeymoon short by several days in order to get back home in time for opening day of squirrel season. After 46 years you would think she would have forgotten that incident.

46 years...wow....happy anniversary!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default right down the road

Ken, not to bragg or anything but, there is a pond about half mile from my house. That can't be more than 2 acres. It's full of moss and the deepest spot is only about 5'. Anyhow I take my kids down there about 3-4 times a year and every time and I mean every. We catch 3-5 pound bass like they are going out of style. I won't eat bass so I let the kids fish with a bobber and a worm. Those bass just eat it up soon as it hit's the water. They even attack the bobber often before they figure out there is a worm below. No crappie in this pond, None so I just don't feel the need to fish it unless the kids bug me to take them. The bass in this pond are skinny in terms of large mouth. All 3 of my daughters have caught bass over 20" and they still only push around 4 pounds
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pig - It's nice to see you posting again. I wondered what had happened to you. Have you been doing any fishing of any kind other than the pond you talked about? I have some bankpoles in the river, but I haven't even been running those since it has been so hot and dry. I hit the airport pond only because it is close and I don't have to mess with a boat. I seldom fish it for more and one to two hours. Do you do any frog hunting in ponds? I used to hit it hard, but probably have not hunted frogs in the last 6 to 8 years. At one time I was out at least one to two nights a week.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Default it's been awhile

Ken, other than taking the kids to the pond. I have not fished for crappie in a long time. I was just thinking it's been about 90 days since my boat has been in the water I have some buddies that use to gig frogs but, I don't think they go much anymore. I went one time when I was like in first grade, so I don't remember much about it. Except for the guy that took me kept telling me to watch out for the snakes :D Take care Ken!
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave and Ken, just ran across your post about squirrel hunting and it got me interested. I live in S.E. Va. and got a 6 year old feist about 4 years ago. She was fully broke and the guy that owned her before me wanted to start some dogs so I got her for a real good price.
    The long story short is that I've pretty much given up my other hunting now that I squirrel hunt and it's the most enjoyable hunting I know of. You can't beat a good walk in the woods and hearing the dog bark "treed".
    Do a lot of guys out your way hunt with dogs? It's rare around here and most guys just look at you funny if you mention squirrel hunting with a dog. Oh well, more squirrels for me and the dog.
    Good luck this fall with the fins and the fur.
    _ Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Brad - Good to hear from you. I have read several of your posts as I usually check in with all the state boards to see what is going on. I have been hunting squirrels for 54 years and have never used a dog. I have often given it some thought, but usually had a Brittany for pheasants and quail and didn't want to push my wife's tollerance too far as I spent a lot of time with the Brittanys year around keeping them in shape and their skills honed. I would say that the average squirrel hunter here in Illinois hunts without a dog although since Redtick raises squirrel dogs he can respond to your questions better than I can. As I said, I have been hunting squirrels for over 50 years and encountered a situation last year I had never experienced before. I had my 16 year old grandson out and was walking behind him (I don't carry a gun when I am out with the grandkids) and he was stalking a squirrel up in the top of a hickory tree. Just as he took aim, the squirrel plummeted to the ground. I thought, dang, have I suddenly gone deaf as I didn't hear him shoot. My grandson turned and said to me "Did you see that?" The squirrel then ran 8 to 10 feet up the trunk of the nearest tree and before my grandson could shoot, the squirrel fell to the ground again. He ran with some difficulty along the ground and my grandson shot him. Needless to say, we didn't clean or eat him. On examination, except for being shot, the squirrel didn't appear to be injured so I assume he was sick. I have heard of Lymes disease causing neurological problems in humans and wondered if this squirrel could have been affected with it. Good to hear from you.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I have hunted squirrels with dogs since I was a kid, 40+ years ago. There are a few that hunt squirrels with dogs around here but it is not as popular as it should be. It is the best hunting with dogs you can find these days. There are not enough birds to keep a bird dog any more but there are lots of squirrel woods. :D I am harvest a few now (too busy crappie fishing) but will really get after them after the first frost. You may want to check out www.sqdogs.com I am Redtick on that board also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast