PDA

View Full Version : Old Crappie Reels...Anyone seen these before or know anything about them?

sac-a-lait
04-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Like how old or whatever? I just got them from an estate sale and can't wait to use them. As you can see the size is SMALL, super LIGHT, and one of them has some old kind of dacron (modern day equal is braid I quess)...The stuff is as thick as rope. Guess back in the old days the fish had bad eye sight. Kinda like when folks would hunt in jeans and a red flanell shirt. Anyone know how old these are? One is alum (I guess) and has 60 on the bottom. The one with the black side is brass? And has 40 on the bottom. Don't see made in China anywhere yet, but I'm looking...I guess the other one is brass too? No markings on it anywhere that I have seen yet. They have clickers and the like too. Much thanks for any info anyone might have.

GRIZZ
04-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I would never use those. I'd keep them as memorabilia. They could be worth something even if only as a conversation piece or decoration.

mike_3720
04-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I have several that look kinda like those, most of mine are J.C. Higgins. I also have a couple of rods, short metal rods. My dad told me years ago they used these rods and reels for bottom fishing, they were not made for casting. The large dia. nylon line was the normal fishing line in it's day. As for value, mine are priceless to me because they belonged to my Dad. You might check out ebay to get a value....

gone_fishing
04-16-2009, 04:09 AM
I would never use those. I'd keep them as memorabilia. They could be worth something even if only as a conversation piece or decoration.

lol yeah they are worth something.

sac-a-lait
04-16-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm not asking about value but AGE or history. Thanks for any INFO you guys can provide. Not about value but about the history of these kinds of reels.

camo john
04-16-2009, 04:54 AM
sac they are not crappie reels they are bass reels john

sac-a-lait
04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
a bass reel? It's just bigger than a quarter. Maybe I'm missing something.

redear
04-16-2009, 09:50 AM
there are people that collect that kind of fishing tackle, and I've read some of their stuff on the web before, tho I can't recall the site. If you could find a forum of tackle collectors then I'm sure they could answer your questions. there are also books that will tell ya but those things are thick and very expensive. I wouldn't use them either. they would look great on a mantel.

The Lip RIPPERS
04-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Do a Google search for Karl White antique tackle collector, he donated his entire collection to the Jenks aquarium near Tulsa OK. He has books on values as well.

Fatman
04-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes they are old bass fishing reels!!! Check out some photo's of really collectable ones old kentuckians

JF and BF Meek Reels (http://www.antiquereels.com/reel%20makers/JF_and_BF_Meek_Reels.htm)

If you take some really detailed pictures of them you might be able to get some more infor from the guy at the above site or his contact person. If you find one of the kentucky makers marks on any of those reels hang onto them they'd be worth money. I have one old one that I've been searching for info on and it's the same size as the one's you have.

Dont' go cleaning anything!!!!!!!!!! If you have something really expensive or worth something cleaning might ruin it's value.

Fatman

sac-a-lait
04-16-2009, 01:02 PM
dang and I wanted to put the silver one on my favorite crappie pole and put her back in action. I'll check with those guys as all I'm interested in is history. Thanks for your infor and website link.

Crappiekiller3
05-03-2009, 11:40 PM
Actually those reels were bass reels. The 40 or 60 was for how much line they would hold. These were made in the teens, twenties and thirties.
The machineing on them is tremendous considering the time frame. The value depends on condition of course, most are worth 12-30 bucks, some
rarer ones much more. Despite the seemingly good smoothness, today there
are much improved inexpensive reels that do a better job, especially in the
spinning reels. Neat ol reels, keep em or sell to collector!

Crappiekiller3

Pomoxist
05-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Even if they were called bass reels, these would have been used by the crappie anglers too back then. Spinning reels of course weren't yet available. Even way back in the 1800s there are accounts of crappie fishermen using earlier designs of the reels you have. One of their methods was to let out several yards of line and, by oaring, slowly troll a lure such as a small spoon, which was often homemade.