Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melt The Vasoline For Tubes

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Melt The Vasoline For Tubes

I was reading in a book today that people used to use this method to put a smell attractant on their tubes. They would melt some vasoline, pour in some anise and cod liver oil and then store it in a small jar. When the mixture cooled they would rub and apply it liberally to their tubes. They claimed that fish held on to the tube long enough for you to set the hook because of the scent appeal. Some people even add a small strip of fabric to a spoon. The fish could not really tear the scent impregnated fabric off the hook and the scent lasted for hours.

What do you think about this??? Comments???
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me! I,ve fished with grubs with garlic scent seemed like the fish would hold the bait longer with the garlic, than without.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes its true but now there are many flavored plastics out so much easier to use.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info.
    I used vasoline for tranny repair, now for fishing, that's a pretty versitile product.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    I was reading in a book today that people used to use this method to put a smell attractant on their tubes. They would melt some vasoline, pour in some anise and cod liver oil and then store it in a small jar. When the mixture cooled they would rub and apply it liberally to their tubes. They claimed that fish held on to the tube long enough for you to set the hook because of the scent appeal. Some people even add a small strip of fabric to a spoon. The fish could not really tear the scent impregnated fabric off the hook and the scent lasted for hours.

What do you think about this??? Comments???
    Vaseline has a petroleum base and could melt some plastics.
    What I did for years was to keep a few cotton balls in my pocket and when I wanted to add scent to a tube, I ripped off a small piece and stuffed it in the tube using a toothpick or twig to push it all the way in. Then, I added whatever scent I wanted using a small craft shop paint dropper bottle or squeeze bottle . I made my own scents using Glycerin oil that can be bought cheap at any pharmacy and then adding shrimp, herring, anise or other scents to the glycerin. It goes a long way and the glycerin leaves an oily trail that fish can hone in on.
    Over the years, shrimp scent has been the most consistent for me all around.
    In recent years, I've gotten away from scents and have gone to Berkley Gulp Alive when a live bait situation arises. Love that stuff !

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Tramp View Post
    Vaseline has a petroleum base and could melt some plastics.
    What I did for years was to keep a few cotton balls in my pocket and when I wanted to add scent to a tube, I ripped off a small piece and stuffed it in the tube using a toothpick or twig to push it all the way in. Then, I added whatever scent I wanted using a small craft shop paint dropper bottle or squeeze bottle . I made my own scents using Glycerin oil that can be bought cheap at any pharmacy and then adding shrimp, herring, anise or other scents to the glycerin. It goes a long way and the glycerin leaves an oily trail that fish can hone in on.
    Over the years, shrimp scent has been the most consistent for me all around.
    In recent years, I've gotten away from scents and have gone to Berkley Gulp Alive when a live bait situation arises. Love that stuff !
    Hey Saddle Tramp:

Actually, years ago I would stuff a tube with the tip of a Q-tip I'd cut the end off and then saturate it with my crazy mixed up formulas. I kept the formulas in a worm blower and added it as needed. I was just wondering if the vasoline would make it last longer??????

I may still try that tiny strip of fabric idea too. Just curious. Wonder what original ideas others have used ???????????
    Last edited by shipahoy41; 04-16-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I save my dried crappie nibbles and mix cod liver oil or other sauce with it.
    I put the solution in a Marinade Injector. It last a long time and catches fish.
    Cheers
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIN View Post
    I save my dried crappie nibbles and mix cod liver oil or other sauce with it.
    I put the solution in a Marinade Injector. It last a long time and catches fish.
    Cheers
    FIN

Praise the Lord. A sensible solution with what to do with those dried nibbles I have. Thanks for sharing this one. I have an injector.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shipahoy41 View Post
    Hey Saddle Tramp:

Actually, years ago I would stuff a tube with the tip of a Q-tip I'd cut the end off and then saturate it with my crazy mixed up formulas. I kept the formulas in a worm blower and added it as needed. I was just wondering if the vasoline would make it last longer??????

I may still try that tiny strip of fabric idea too. Just curious. Wonder what original ideas others have used ???????????
    So we think alike !!

I believe that the petroleum base in the Vaseline will act more as a deterrent than an attractant even if scent is added , not to mention what that scent will smell/taste like to the fish when it's mixed with the Vaseline.
    I've seen how Vaseline melted certain types of paint as well. Might turn a nice looking jig head into a bubbly mess
    All we can do is experiment !!

Post Thanks / Like

The fun is in the experimenting. Folks....the vasoline idea is not one of my better ideas. I did some more research and I cannot suggest people try that. I do like the applied scent in/on the Q-tips though and also the idea of a little scent on chenille as a good way of attracting Crappies.

Time to go see what else I can tinker with. Stay tuned................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast