Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnows By The Pound

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnows By The Pound

Dump question since I have never bought them by the pound, but how many small minnows are in a pound. I am think of buying 5 - 10 pounds from a local guy here and would just like a rough estimate of how many minnow that might be in dozens

Post Thanks / Like

depends on what size the shiners are, smalls one will get you more by the pound than per shiner

Post Thanks / Like

hey doc, scroll down a bit, i just posted the very same question a couple days ago, i think you'll find your answer in there.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly910 View Post
    hey doc, scroll down a bit, i just posted the very same question a couple days ago, i think you'll find your answer in there.

HB
    thanks that had all the answers I was looking for so I can figure 10 pounds is more minners than I will use in the entire year, that is if I can keep them all alive and I guess they reproduce right in the tank as well or I would think so, making more minnows

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of wholesalers I buy from says small minnows are around 20-22 dozen per lb. Unless you have one great system for keeping them alive for that long I wouldnt recommend buying a year's supply at one time. From my experience using 2-55 gal. plastic barrels with aireation minnows will die with time. I wouldnt buy more than what I think I would use in the next 45 days...then make another minnow run for more later on. Also, once your water starts hitting around 70 degrees they are much harder to keep alive. Just my 2 cents...
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    A couple of wholesalers I buy from says small minnows are around 20-22 dozen per lb. Unless you have one great system for keeping them alive for that long I wouldnt recommend buying a year's supply at one time. From my experience using 2-55 gal. plastic barrels with aireation minnows will die with time. I wouldnt buy more than what I think I would use in the next 45 days...then make another minnow run for more later on. Also, once your water starts hitting around 70 degrees they are much harder to keep alive. Just my 2 cents...
    Thanks that is some good advice, will have to come up with a better system than what I have now to hold more than a pound for any length of time. Input appreciated thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default price for minnows

When I opened my bait shop I was surprised minnows were sold
    per pound. I asked my supplier how many crappie minnows were in
    a pound (that I sold for 85 cents), he told me 30-40 dozen!!!
    After feeling guilty for getting 85 cents for them, I realized the trick
    is in keeping them alive. Most city water will kill them instantly due to
    chemicals put in the water. At times of the year, they die off quickly
    no matter how good you keep them. And friends, you have never smelled
    anything like 80 pounds of minnows gone belly up. So unless you are really
    set up for it, give the guy at the bait shop a couple bucks for them, remember
    he has kids to feed also and in the north it's a short season!

Crappiekiller3
    Crappiekiller3

Sittin here wishin I was out fishin!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that, generally, minnows will stress more in smaller containment with inferior aereation and won't be as lively than if you buy them fresh from a baitshop with all the equipment and bigger pure-water vats. Regular aereation wears out minnows but if you happen to have a Sweetwater air blower system like many of the bait shops, they will stay livier, longer.

I still keep my left-overs cool and in an old discarded cooler with frozen bottled water to keep them comfortable and a regular aquarium air pump.

aj

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Beings that no one in my area sells minnows by the pound anymore, I still buy them 12-15 dozen at a time....

Here's a link to my bait livewell maintenance system

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ghlight=minnow
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor