Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: maybe a silly question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default maybe a silly question...

This may be an absolute silly question. I usually fish jigs tipped with crappie niblets with a cast and slow retrieve in the shallows and do very well. But, here in the past couple of years, I have gone to throwing out a minnow under a slip bobber for an extra bonus fish every now and then.

This brings up the question: what is your opinion on hook for a minnow? I still use a jig head and just put the minnow on that. I know some use the aberdeen hook. What is your opinion?

But, just for fun, my daughter (who is 4) wanted to give the minnow "googly eyes", so we put a crappie niblet on first, then hook the minnow through the eyes, then put another niblet on the other side. So, she has coined the term "googly eyed minnow", and it has actually helped in the keeping the minnow on, and it makes her laugh. Anything to make it enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is under a bobber I would use a plain hook so the minnow can swim free. Also since it is under a bobber I hook mine just behind the dorsal fin through some meat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrwillis View Post
    This may be an absolute silly question. I usually fish jigs tipped with crappie niblets with a cast and slow retrieve in the shallows and do very well. But, here in the past couple of years, I have gone to throwing out a minnow under a slip bobber for an extra bonus fish every now and then.

This brings up the question: what is your opinion on hook for a minnow? I still use a jig head and just put the minnow on that. I know some use the aberdeen hook. What is your opinion?

But, just for fun, my daughter (who is 4) wanted to give the minnow "googly eyes", so we put a crappie niblet on first, then hook the minnow through the eyes, then put another niblet on the other side. So, she has coined the term "googly eyed minnow", and it has actually helped in the keeping the minnow on, and it makes her laugh. Anything to make it enjoyable.
    Keeping kids HAPPY and enjoying the experience is most important.I have used very small pieces of grubs or worms to keep the minnow on better and these are usually thrown away anyway when they are torn.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I use a real light weight painted jig head with a minnow (1/64 or 1/80oz). If you're in deeper water and using a slip bobber, you might want to add a split shot up about 6". If in shallow water, just a small clip on bobber is all you need.

Post Thanks / Like

Tru Turn hook with it hooked in behind the dorsal fin and some shot about 8 inchs up the line under a Betts Billy Boy Weighted bobber.

Fatman