Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Too HOT to fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Too HOT to fish!

I was off work today but had some morning running around to do. Thought about going out this afternoon but as soon as I got back home and stepped out of the car it felt like a furnace. 104 heat index.

An afternoon "power nap" sounded a whole lot more inviting. I have a friend that lives on Lake Quachita which is about an hour away and he goes out and catches huge bream and redears tightlining crickets on deep underwater humps.

He is primarily a crappie fisherman with several tops out and enjoys his early spring fishing but loves to fish for these huge bream and redears during the summer months.

I told him that I would like to come over there and let him show me the ropes on this style of fishing later this month. He said he only caught 12 the other day but the fillets filled a quart ziploc baggie!

I always say fish for what's bitin'!!!

CATCH A BIG-UN
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, its better if you can get out at daylight and knock off by 10 or so,
    those monster bream sound good though, learn about it and share with
    us I say better only as it applies to heat, I am not a morning person,
    would prefer to stay up all night and get up whenever, can't make the
    rest of the world go along with it though :rolleyes:
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

This weather I can only handle it early in the AM. Then off the water no later then noon.
    Pete

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If I can get my motor running well tommorow, I am going down to Big Bear and trying my luck trolling crankbaits. Will knock off pretty fast myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey David,
    How much oil do you put in your tank when you fill it up????? LOL
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default To Hot to fish

"NEVER" to hot to fish as far as I am concerned. I love it when the temp gets to 100 or more and I have a slight breeze about 5-10 MPH out of the S. with a bright sunny sky. I have my best days fishing under these conditions. Most of the fishermen come off the lake, but I still have to contend with the lake lice and water skiers, but it is still worth it to me. This puts the fish where I want them and catch quite a few under these conditions. I don't get to the lake that early and can still bring home quite a few fish. I try to be on the water about 9:00 AM and fish until about 2:00 PM. I start by fishing a ledge along side of a channel that runs from 11-25ft and then drops into a channel. Their are xmas trees along this ledge that run from 12-17 ft and are strung at an angle. I just keep moving in a circular motion around this ledge and catch Crappie most of the time I am there. If I have some elderly guys with me when the temp get fairly high. I will stop and put the canopy up on the boat and then they can sit in the shade and fish. This makes about a 20 degree difference in the temp. I run the boat from the front and sit on a butt seat out in the open. Every half hour I will get under the canopy and have a drink and just get out of the sun for a short time, and then it is back to fishing or catching. If the fishing slows down before we are ready to call it a day I will go back to the Marina and fish under the pontoons at the slips in the harbor. The Marina extended the slips this year and put them over our best tree piles in the harbor, so they let us fish around the slips, and don't say to much to us. If the water gets a little rough I will tie the boat up and get out on the docks and fish off of them so I don't have to worry about boat control around the other boat there. When I figure out how to post pics on here I will post some of the catches this year in the 100 degree days we had here. Good fishing to everyone.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

the name is .............Quicksilver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
    Originally posted by Eager Beaver
    When I figure out how to post pics on here I will post some of the catches this year in the 100 degree days we had here. Good fishing to everyone.

EB....click on this link for details for posting pics.

http://www.crappie.com/articles/post..._by_labill.htm

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1weezer
    Hey David,
    How much oil do you put in your tank when you fill it up????? LOL
    Now that is cold Richard!!

He uses premix now. :D

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

That is why I like my 2 4-stroke motors. Gave all my mixing oil away.LOL
    Pete