Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Testing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Testing

Could someone explain how I can test my soleniod and ignition switch on a 60hp Merc?

Is the relay the same as a solenoid? If so, I have changed it and the problem still exists. Starter remains running when key is turned off. I must disconnect the battery to get it to stop.

Any help appreciated.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Your starter solenoid should have 2 large terminals that carry battery power to the starter, and one small wire that is used to close the circuit within the solenoid, to the starter. The small wire should only have power to it when the ignition switch is in the start position. Remove the small wire from the solenoid, then using a test light, confirm that the light comes on while in the start position, and goes off when you release the switch from the start position. If the light doesn't go off when you release the switch, I'd say your switch is bad. Before you go out and buy a switch, see if you can't test the switch itself using the test light. On when it the start position, and off when you release the switch. If the switch tests okay, there's always the possibility that something happened to the wiring harness itself. Insulation worn or burned off allowing 12v to the starter solenoid wire at all times.