Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Best Crappie water in Maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Crappie water in Maryland

Virginia fisherman here,

I'm trying to find out what is the best water to fish for crappie in Maryland. I would prefer lakes that are closer to the DC side of Maryland. I am looking to make a trip over the line with my son to experiencee some of Maryland's Specks. I'm new to the area.

thanks,
    Misplaced Lake Erie_KingFisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Over near DC I would say the potomac river is the best right now looking at capt. mikes post. I used to fish in Mattowoman creek off the potomac years ago and did real well. Have enough crappie on the east side of the bay to keep me busy now. If you want lakes not rivers maybe hunter could help ya out. Where ya at Hunter haven't seen ya post in a while?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DC Area Crappie spots

Quote Originally Posted by tear-em-up View Post
    Over near DC I would say the potomac river is the best right now looking at capt. mikes post. I used to fish in Mattowoman creek off the potomac years ago and did real well. Have enough crappie on the east side of the bay to keep me busy now. If you want lakes not rivers maybe hunter could help ya out. Where ya at Hunter haven't seen ya post in a while?
    Tear-em-up:

Always good to hear from you and thanks for your updates of the fishing on your side of the Bay.
    By the way, I made my first trip to Rocky Gorge Reservoir on Monday. The wind was gusting to 15 MPH, and worst of all the water temp was only 52 degrees. Nothing was home on the shore, I was able to nab a few short feeding males chasing shad 30 feet down in 50 feet of water. I am puzzled.
    It's probably at full pool now with the rains, and although I couldn't find any underwater structure, it is very deep with many drop offs. I actually like this Reservoir and will return again as soon as the water temps get closer to the majic 62 degrees as we wait for the next full moon next month. Hope to see you on the water there this year.
    I'll stay in contact.

Keeper:

Not sure what type of fishing you are interested in, but if it's shore fishing DC has some very good looking shore only Lakes right in town to include Lake Artesia, Lake Needwood, and Lake Greenbriar. DC locations with boat ramps include the Tridelphia and Rocky Gorge Reservoirs, and of course the Potomac River (Fort Washington or Smallwood boat ramps).
    I haven't fished the Potomac much because I am not quite as comfortable on the river as I am on a trolling motor only Lake. But right now the Capt is proving to us in his reports that the Crappie are very active there so I'll be raiding the wife's purse to pay for a guide trip with him this year for sure
    Crappie Hunter