Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Newbie Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Newbie Question

Does anyone have a pic of this particular method of crappie rig. From what I read it sounds like the sinker is on the bottom with a couple of hooks up above and you go along real slow with the sinker dragging the bottom. Thinking of trying this but wanted to get a visual if you know what i mean.Im just getting into crappie fishing with my son(hes 9yrs) and we went out for the first time today. We were trying to troll with no luck.There were some other people out there that had poles out with a cork under the rod tip. The above method I read about sounded like what they were doing maybe?? Any tips appreciated as its hard to keep a 9 yr old entertained sitting in a boat with no fish biting.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're talking about a Carolina Rig. Do a few searches for that and see if that's what you're talking about. Welcome to C.C btw. Hope you and your son get on some big ones.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

I googled carolina rig and it showed the sinker above the worm. It sounded to me like the sinker was below the hooks/bait on the fishing line. What is the hook/sinker set up when someone is "spider" rig fishing? Looked like the guys I saw today were fishing this technique.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you are talking about drop shot rigging with two hooks. This was a popular method for me when I was bass fishing alot. I would tie on a nice drop shot hook, put on a worm, then tie a sinker at the bottom. I would have about 2-3' between the hook and the sinker depending upon the depth I was fishing. I have never tried this method for crappie fishing, but I have seen it talked about on this forum. Welcome by the way, if you are looking for a great bunch of guys and a wealth of knowledge you have come to the right place!!

Luke

Post Thanks / Like

Tie a hook or jig on line / drop down about 14" and tie another hook or jig drop down about a foot and tie your bell sinker I use loop knots to tie baits the weight of the sinker is determined by where you fish as far as current and wind. I use anywhere from 1/2oz to 1oz.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

CCGA welcome to the site. Hang around here and you will learn many ways to fish for crappie. I fished this winter with a group that used the method I think you're looking for. It was a first time for me but this is how it was rigged. A weight on the end of your line, about 3/8 oz. About 1' above it a loop knot with a hook, 1' above that one put another loop and a hook. Some of the rigs with 4 hooks per line. This lets you cover from the bottom up to 5 or 6 foot above the bottom this way. You can also do the same with jigs or a mixture of jigs and hooks for minnows. Rods on the front of the boat were set where the weights were barely bouncing the bottom or slight above it. The rods in the rear of the were let out to drag behind the boat about 30 feet. In the cold weather we were fishing it did produce quite a few fish. Hope this helps.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys and the welcomes. Ill be spending a lot of time on here it seems. It already kept me up way past my bedtime last night:D Ill be trying this next time we go out. Now to learn this loop knot!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default check state laws

be sure to check your state laws as to how many rods you can fish, and how many hooks per rod you are allowed.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

What you are talking about is called bottom bouncing I think. I don't use this style, but have seen it before. I think some guys use it early winter or late fall, but not totally sure.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from se ga ccga. you will be on this site a lot its addicting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast