Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Cowanesque lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowanesque lake

Fished Cowanesque lake in far northern Tioga county for 1 1/2 days and had one keeper crappie. He got to go back with his buddies. Man, the fishing was poor! It was only my second time there, but the locals were shaking their heads saying they never seen the fishing so bad. It's getting a little discouraging as it's about $35 to $40 worth of gas in the truck itself for a fishing trip. We have had so much rain up here this summer, and not more than a couple stable days of weather back to back. I need a trip where the fish will cooperate a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

how close is lake to Hammond?
    Scratch that I found it - what part of the lake were you fishing? The way it looks the south shore line, about a quarter mile from the dam, has a fairly fast tapering shoreline - any structure along that bank?

Tell me about this lake - this may be close enough to our cabin to make a fall run to.
    Last edited by Big Zig; 09-03-2004 at 12:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cowanesque Lake

I guess you figured out where it was in relation to Hammond, about 12 miles or so north I think. We fished the north shore in a couple little coves with blowdowns and also a cove on the south shore where there is a passage under a bridge. As far as the south shore near the dam, I was told there was some tire reefs put in there a few years back but you would probably need a local to find them. The state record crappie came from Hammond, but the fishing is supposed to be better on Cowanesque. I stayed at the Army Corps campground with a site right on the lake. You can beach your boat right at the site, it's a little rocky, or they have a dock for $3.00 a night. The campground closes this weekend, but the one at Hammond is open till the end of Oct. I think. You mentioned a fast tapering shoreline, do you have a lake map? I wasn't able to find any maps as I wasn't near any tackle shops. I think it should be a dynamite lake for crappie, but I just hit it at the wrong time. I had been fishing Tioga lake which is connected to Hammond, no passage between though. Tioga doesn't get near the boat traffic that Hammond does and there's some good fishing around the RT 15 bridge piers. None of the 3 lakes have HP restrictions so there is skiers, tubers and such. All 3 lakes do have areas restricted to no wake so you can find some quiet fishing areas. Where about's is your camp? I live a couple counties east, Susquehanna, about 75 miles to Tioga lake, or 90 to Cowanesque.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks - I use Terra Server to get a look at new-to-me-bodies of water. You won't see the actual depth changes, but will get an idea of how the land lays around and into the lake. So, yes I have a map of the lake, but not a lake map. (Clear as mud? :rolleyes: )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maps

I have the Topo USA set of CD's and also use then for the same purpose. At least it gives you a general idea of what the bottom could look like.