Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Replacing Jon Boat Transom

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing Jon Boat Transom

I have a 14\36 jon boat in need of a new transom board.This will be my first time doing it and want to do it right.I'm not sure where to get marine grade wood. I was told not to use pressure treated because of the chemicals reacting
    with the aluminum ? I will be using SS hardware.Your ideas are appreciated.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to the company that built my old boat and purchased a board already cut. They charged very little and it was lots cheaper than a 4 x 8 sheet and easier.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

There is a website called tinboats.com that can show and tell diy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think WTC has done that. He could probably give you some pointers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom replacement

I had to do that several years ago. I had a piece of cypress that I overlayed the old transom on and then marked and cut. It will never rot now

Post Thanks / Like

You can use treated lumber now. They changed the chemicals a couple years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a piece of 2x12 treated lumber instead of plywood. My buddy has that boat now, 15 years later, and it still has that same transom!
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread reminds us all who have wood in our transoms, to remove the engine mounting bolts and resilicone them every 5 years or so to prevent the issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Default False

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith View Post
    You can use treated lumber now. They changed the chemicals a couple years ago.

The Government mandated that the chemicals be changed in PT lumber. It seems they were not happy with Arsenic in the wood. Todays PT lumber has a very high Copper content. It's the copper that has an adverse reaction to aluminum. Do NOT use PT lumber on an aluminum boat.

As far as lumber goes, a simple BC plywood will work just fine. Use an all weather glue, such as titebond lll. Glue and screw two peices of plywood together. Draw out, and make your cut. Take any rough sandpaper to knock off the splinters from the cut.

To seal the plywood, any oil based exterior paint will work just fine. Two solid coats will do. Once it's dry, you can install it. During installation, coat any bolts and screws with silicone. If you do this, the water will not get in and effect it. It is wise to check the seal every couple of years.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper View Post
    The Government mandated that the chemicals be changed in PT lumber. It seems they were not happy with Arsenic in the wood. Todays PT lumber has a very high Copper content. It's the copper that has an adverse reaction to aluminum. Do NOT use PT lumber on an aluminum boat.

As far as lumber goes, a simple BC plywood will work just fine. Use an all weather glue, such as titebond lll. Glue and screw two peices of plywood together. Draw out, and make your cut. Take any rough sandpaper to knock off the splinters from the cut.

To seal the plywood, any oil based exterior paint will work just fine. Two solid coats will do. Once it's dry, you can install it. During installation, coat any bolts and screws with silicone. If you do this, the water will not get in and effect it. It is wise to check the seal every couple of years.
    That's true for ACQ which hasn't been readily available for a couple years now. "Today's" treated lumber is rated for contact with aluminum.