Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: fall crappie fishing at lovewell or kirwin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default fall crappie fishing at lovewell or kirwin?

Hi, I live in Colorado and have had great luck in the fall at John Martin reservoir but this year the water level has dropped so low to make it impossible to fish there. I am originally from Kansas so was wondering if anyone might know if there was a time in the fall at lovewell or kirwin OR somewhere when the crappie fishing heats up? Here it has usually picked up in Sept. off the rip-rap on the face of the dam with chartreuse twister tails.Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joecan, The drought is really making a impact on these lakes. Kirwin is 25ft low, Webster is over 26ft low. Lovewell was up to normal but, they are irrigating out of it now and it is dropping every day. It is now over 6ft low. I have a friend that is from that area and you should contact him before going to them. His name is Greg and his E-mail is [email protected] Tell him I sent you to him and he just may tell you the truth!! :D Heh! Heh! Heh! <*)}}}><
    You'll see the difference,,,on the end of your line! PROUD MEMBER OF ​TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

The TRUTH!!!!!!!I am the BILL CLINTON of truth :D

I would wait if you can till the water temps come down some. I am not going to try it till they get back down in the 60's. They just added a bunch of trees to the piles at Kirwin. That will really help as I was told that they didn't add them right on top of the old ones. They just made them bigger. As far as Lovewell goes, I don't make it down there anymore. Hope to make it this fall when things get a little more stable. Just keep an eye on the Kansas Game & Parks site and they generally have pretty good reports for the North Central Region.

I will post an update if I hear anything.

This is a pic of my biggest from Kirwin. It was 18 1/2" and almost 3#.

Enjoy,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    HuskerLand is the name, custom jigs are the game!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick note!

All that brush behind me is now high and DRY!!!!!!!!

We were fishing in 18' of water that day.

Good thing is they are getting some needed rain there right now.

Greg

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Was at Kirwin 2 weeks ago. No fish caught but the lake is up quite a bit and looks really good. Brush piles look great and there were fish all over them, just couldn't any hits though. Found a bunch of spots out on the main lake though that will be good through the hard water.

Greg

Greg