Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on Red Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinion on Red Hooks

I ususally use the red hooks most of the time after testing using red against the black hooks seems I caught more on red. I staggered them on my spider poles with a red on top on one and black on bottom and vice versa I use the cam action Mr. Crappie right now because eagleclaw cam action reds are hard to find in my area Not to Dizz Mr. Crappie or anything but these hooks dont really seem sharp on the point what do you guys think ?

Post Thanks / Like

I too use red hooks most of the time.They say it gives the wounded prey look,and it must because i catch more on the red then any other color.We all know Crappie are color sensitive so it makes sence!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

This goes back to years of reading the same stuff, but always was
    told red was the first color of the spectrum to filter out as the light
    got dimmer, water deeper. Just wonder how different at depth the
    red hooks really look to a fish - maybe shallower it makes more of a
    difference, or the whole "filter out" theory is wrong? Wouldn't be the
    first time to see something disproved. On the not so sharp hooks, I
    was always a big fan of Eagle Claw growning up, is that who makes those
    you speak of, or somebody else? Anyway, I have been disappointed lately
    with their sharpness, even the "lazer sharp" ones. Gamakatsu, Owner,
    maybe Mustad triple grip trebles, are my favorites now, do like tru-turns
    for bream though. I used to consider myself a good hook-sharpener, but
    no way with all the time in the world can I even come close to a new
    Gammy - close your hand around one of those trebles lightly, then open
    it palm down - they will stick to your hand like glue!
    Sorry, just went back and read the original post a little closer - if EC don't
    make the Mr. Crappie hooks, I don't know then... Maybe they are chinese
    knock-offs - been known to happen esp. at Wally-World.
    Last edited by J White; 08-09-2005 at 06:45 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

not 100% sure but I do think eagle claw makes MR Crappie Hooks - but anyway never experimented with red hooks on crappie but we did try them saltwater fishing mainly for flounder - we found we did catch more fish with red hooks than with black hooks -but we caught just as many if not more with gold hooks - gold hooks are to find though in a circle hook - we can find the gold khale hooks but not regular sea circles - on khale hooks we lost a lot of fish before getting them to the net - at the time the red hooks did seem to produce just a few more fish than the black hooks but the difference in the cost was not worth the difference - now the red hooks are about the same price - I still prefer the gold hooks if I can find them - and that is what I use on crappie is the gold aberdeen
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big George
    I ususally use the red hooks most of the time after testing using red against the black hooks seems I caught more on red. I staggered them on my spider poles with a red on top on one and black on bottom and vice versa I use the cam action Mr. Crappie right now because eagleclaw cam action reds are hard to find in my area Not to Dizz Mr. Crappie or anything but these hooks dont really seem sharp on the point what do you guys think ?

Post Thanks / Like

this is my first post i use truturn gold hooks for crappie's here on lake eufaula as the water is off colored most of the time before red hooks became available i used a red magic marker on some of the gold hooks and it seemed to increase the catch rate. keep your string stretched.

Post Thanks / Like

I stick with he gold Truturn hooks. I tried red hooks one day while a friend sit in the back of the boats and caught 4 fish to my one. I switched back the the gold truturn and hung right in there with him. Of course this is a one day experience. Truturn has been good to me. I guess, if it aint broke don't fix it.
    LET IT RIP!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big George
    I have noticed that the Red hooks do out fish the Black Nickel hooks too, regardless of the brands. I have seen Bronse do this too however. I am pretty sure that E.C is making Wally's hooks for him though. I will ask him the next time I talk with him.

Last year at the classic, I was using Wally's Black #2's right next to a youth/adult team which we agreed to let move in on us, and fish the same bridge pier we were working (late in the afternoon of the 2nd day & it helped them secure their win - we were on some decent fish there, but too late for us because of a poor 1st day). Everything was the same between our set-ups except our line & hook choices. They were even using our minnows cuz they ran out. They were using Bronse hooks & mono though, and we were using Black Nickel & Fireline. They were getting more bites than us by far fishing within 1' of us. Weird! Had never seen an advantage appear to be so obvious on line & hook color choices. I was happy for the Grandfather & Grandson team though. We made some life long friends that day for sure!

BTW - If you take a Red hook, and dip it in your minnow bucket, the minnows will actually attack & bite at it. Happens every time. This just makes me wonder if these Red hooks don't draw more natural forage to chase after, and attack the hook & minnow combo's I am fishing with? If this is really happening without us seeing it, it could be making up some of the difference in attraction since your minnow would appear to be under attack, and thus weaker than the rest of the forage. Not that far fetched if you think about it. Crappie are opertunists, and will single out and attack the weak, and slow when they can. Just something to chew on.. :p

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Last edited by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon; 08-09-2005 at 11:36 AM.
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone please explain this for me.
    http://www.truturnhooks.com/ read the write up for the red hooks.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp Now read the write up for the red Cajun line.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The problem I have is all the red hooks I have used turn into gold hooks pretty fast. I may be more inclined if the red lasted longer. I have tried several brands (not cheap brands either) and none hold up keeping the color well.

I don't doubt that red would out fish other colors as long as the fish can see the red because of the injury indications as well as the color of their gills are red.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast