Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Scent matter for Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Does Scent matter for Crappie?

This is kind of a 2 fold question. The main reason I ask is because when we fish for summer run steelhead scent can make or break you every time you go out. A fresh made jig with solvent head cement is a recipe for a long boring day of casting and no fish. We will even go as far as making jigs a year before we use them to make sure there is no negative scent left of them.

First is does it really make a difference to have a fish/bait scent on your bait/lure, in general, when fishing for crappie?

The second and possibly more important, how important is it to prevent negative scents from ruining a day of crappie fishing? Petroleum products, BO, head cement, animal and others scents, do they have a negative effect on the bite or does it seem that crappie are just so aggressive most of the time that it doesn't seem to matter?

I did try a search and found nothing so if this has been covered please show me the topic.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Steelhead have a much more developed sense of smell, one of the most scent sensitive fish there is in the world actually. Crappie do not have as developed a sense of smell, but you still are not going to want your stuff smelling like fresh paint, gas, etc...

I can't say I have ever noticed a difference when fishing tubes that are scented and ones that aren't for Crappie. They seem to be more interested on the visual aspects of your presentation. Adding some scent/pheromones to your presentation is not going to hurt anything though and I'm sure if it's one of those days where you really have to hang your bait there, while they sit and inspect it, it may give you an advantage. It's also probably going to make a fish more willing to hold on to a bait longer, so you are more likely to feel it and get a good hook set...
    Last edited by KWB; 04-09-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe scent on a jig for crappie is better than no scent at all. I have not found much diffrence between brands, but scent works for me. I do not fish without it anymore.
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tip that jig with a small peice on onion, you might be suprised.

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Scents

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieClint View Post
    I believe scent on a jig for crappie is better than no scent at all. I have not found much diffrence between brands, but scent works for me. I do not fish without it anymore.
    Yea it took me proving a point on that. HAHAHA. Scent don't leave home without it. If you use live bait they put off scent.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Scents,don't leave home without it.When it comes to negative scents I'm gonna do anything I can not to put any negatives on my jig. I've even quit sealing threads on my ties because of possible negative scents. Where scents aren't legal like some trout streams I fish I'll rub a jig or fly in the gravel or sand of the streambed to remove negative scents. I use nibbles and liquid scents all the time and they will increase your catch.

Post Thanks / Like

I will use the shad flavored scents that are made for bass fishing especially when spider rigging for crappie it leaves a nice scent trail in the water and the fish seemto hold on a little longer,which makes for a good hook set.
    Wishing ya`ll hard strikes and heavy stringers and slay those slabs

Post Thanks / Like

I like the crappie nibbilets and use the bait pump to insert the nibblets inside the tubes

Post Thanks / Like

I use scents all the time. Oil based scents, water based and nibbles. Don't like the garlic flavored ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Any of you guys ever use that Berkley Powerbait scent that's supposed to be formulated specifically for Crappie/Panfish? Did you like it?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast