Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Minnow tipped jig (dead or alive?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow tipped jig (dead or alive?)

I have a question for you guys. What effect do you think dead minnows have on the appeal of the jig. I commonly tip jigs with minnows when slow trolling or casting and the minnows will die if i do not get a strike after dragging them around for a while.

I am wondering if that dead minnow on my jig would actually be less appealing to a crappie then a jig without a minnow on it. I know my crappie in my aquarium would not touch a dead minnow. I am concerned that a bare jig better emulates a live baitfish then a jig with a dead minnow attached.

Anyone have any opinions? I read in Roger Gant's article on "summer tactics" that he hooks his minnows through the head and does not care if they are dead... but in my experience the pole you put the lively minnow on is the next one to get a strike.

~Fishin Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Magician
    I have a question for you guys. What effect do you think dead minnows have on the appeal of the jig. I commonly tip jigs with minnows when slow trolling or casting and the minnows will die if i do not get a strike after dragging them around for a while.

I am wondering if that dead minnow on my jig would actually be less appealing to a crappie then a jig without a minnow on it. I know my crappie in my aquarium would not touch a dead minnow. I am concerned that a bare jig better emulates a live baitfish then a jig with a dead minnow attached.

Anyone have any opinions? I read in Roger Gant's article on "summer tactics" that he hooks his minnows through the head and does not care if they are dead... but in my experience the pole you put the lively minnow on is the next one to get a strike.

~Fishin Magician~
    FM, whenever I tip my jig with a minnow, I always make sure they are alive and change them out when they are dead. I agree with you that the lively minnow will get you your next strike.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Just thinking....

...that jigs/art. bodies, supposed to represent live bait...dead minnows look closest to live minnow..closer than plastic/hair etc.....although live minnows would be better than dead.....If you impart action to dead minnows still have scent of minnow...IMO..this would still be better then w/o any minnow....It's been my experience that they will eat dead minnows if hungry..LOL :D ..of course I came to this conclusion using LOGIC....WE all know that fishing is far from logical...especially crappie..... :rolleyes:
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

We have caught a lot of fish on jigs tipped with dead minnows IF we are doing cast-and-retrieve (which is most of the time). Otherwise, it better be lively. I suspect that on a retrieve, it's more of a reaction strike anyway and they don't have time to figure out that the minnow has ceased to be. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta's right....We use dead or live minnows when slow trolling or when using the casting/retrieving method. Since the minnows are moving using these techniques, they look alive. But live minnows is a must when fishing under a cork or bobber with a jig or plain hook, as they will do the work and catch fish for you.

Post Thanks / Like

When you guys use dead minnows for slow trolling and casting are they tipped on a bare jig head or on a jig head with a plastic?

Seems like plastic and the dead minnow creates a presentation that does not look natural... but who knows maybe the crappies think it looks edible and that good enough for them.

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

>>>... but who knows maybe the crappies think it looks edible and that good enough for them. <<<

I think you hit the nail on the head. We usually tip the jig/plastic body. It works best with agressive fish, rather than when conditions are tough and the fish are picky. Maybe they like the bigger presentation. Dunno. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser
    Roberta's right....We use dead or live minnows when slow trolling or when using the casting/retrieving method. Since the minnows are moving using these techniques, they look alive. But live minnows is a must when fishing under a cork or bobber with a jig or plain hook, as they will do the work and catch fish for you.
    I take acception to the statement that you have to use live minnows under a bobber. I tight line and cast a hook with a minnow quite a bit in the summer time. I use what ever I catch in the minnow bucket, wither it be a live or dead minnow. I cast with one rod, and have another rod laying over the side of the boat with a dead minnow on a hook and weight. On this rod I use the biggest dead minnow that is in the bait bucket. When fish are on the bite they hit both with just as much agressiveness. I use a dead minnow on the rod laying in the boat so I don't have to worry about a live minnow swimming into cover and getting hung up. There are days when the dead minnow will out fish a live presention. This works under a slip float as well. The acception to this is in the spawn and I believe than a live minnow is essensal, Just my opinion though.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that if you are fishing in moving water, it doesn't seem to matter as much if the minnow is dead or alive. I have caught alot of crappie on dead minnows even in still water, but only when they were feeding real well. It's best that they be alive, but not always necessary.