Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braided line?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Braided line?

Anyone round hea ever use braid on spinning reels? If so what are the pro's and con's of your experience with the line. Also does anyone know of a braid made specifically for spinning reels? Reason I am asking is because I normally spool 20+ rod and reels with flourocarbon every year after hunting season is over. After the usual wear and tear and line twist and such then I respool them all again. Would braid cut down on the respooling?
    bamaboyshunting.com

Post Thanks / Like

If I were you, I would try a braid on one or two reels before doing them all. Braid is very, very limp compared to mono.

Post Thanks / Like

I use braid on my crappie rods and up until this last respooling I was a big fan. I got power pro braid last time in 10lb test 2 lb diameter I think and i am having kinds of trouble with it on my rod that i cast jigs with. It just wants to knot up around the tip, I get loops on the spool, it spools too loosley causing the line to catch when i cast.

Before this I had some chartreuse braid that worked very very well. I haven't been able to find it any more. The only problem i ever had with it was that the color faded on it leaving it white for the 15 or 20 yards closest to the end with the jig tied to it.

I love the sensitivity I get with braid. It is also strong enough to bend the hooks on the jigheads i use so I rarely loose one. Sensitivity is my main reason for using it though. It lets me feel when a fish just "mouthes" the jig and those "dishrag" hits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    I use braid on my crappie rods and up until this last respooling I was a big fan. I got power pro braid last time in 10lb test 2 lb diameter I think and i am having kinds of trouble with it on my rod that i cast jigs with. It just wants to knot up around the tip, I get loops on the spool, it spools too loosley causing the line to catch when i cast.

Before this I had some chartreuse braid that worked very very well. I haven't been able to find it any more. The only problem i ever had with it was that the color faded on it leaving it white for the 15 or 20 yards closest to the end with the jig tied to it.

I love the sensitivity I get with braid. It is also strong enough to bend the hooks on the jigheads i use so I rarely loose one. Sensitivity is my main reason for using it though. It lets me feel when a fish just "mouthes" the jig and those "dishrag" hits.
    Those knots are common, and it's probably because you're using such a light lure. You need tension while reeling braid on. The loose coils will get pulled off by the tight coils during a cast creating knots.

Also the chartreuse braid turning white is normal, braid does not take a permanent color, and many people agree it's broken in best when it turns white.

Just FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

I just recently switched alot of my rods over to braid. My favorite is Ohero Braid, it's in Florida, I haven't been able to find it here in KY. The power pro doesnt keep knots as well as Ohero, but its works. If you spool the line correctly and with enough tension you won't have the overlapping.
    the15yr.old crappie fisherman.
    Fishin hard since 9/13/93

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I got some red power pro i am trying out on my Ky rig pole. I am a beginner with this braid. Two things I know for sure.

1. It will cut the pee out of your finger.
    2. It will stick to your zipper.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Lots telling you the good bad and the ugly, but I will tell you I like it a lot for some things and I do put it on spinning reels. Not the closed face type though as I don't use them.

Cane Pole is right about it cutting you and I do it more than I would like. Never try breaking it when hung up without something to wrap it around other than you hand.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to spool a few of my reels just to see how it works.
    bamaboyshunting.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bassturd,

I don't use braid on everthing, I love it on my 9ft. jigging pole. I think that it really shines for that application. They are right, you need a little tension to the line because it's so slick. I let all my line(mono too) out with no bait on the end, on occasion when a idle from one spot to the next. I reel it on with tension from my fingers, if it's braid i use a rag in my hand so my finger don't get worked over to bad. This helps me a lot! Helps get rid of line twist, tighter line on the spool.... I love how sensative it is! When a crappie hits your bait on braid it's like a THUD! I use the yellow braid and mark the first couple of feet with a SHARPIE marker. I also mark one foot intervals. That's my Cajun depth finder.:D
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I put some 10/2 power pro on a couple spinning reels as an experiment. It knots up a lot and is tremendously annoying.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast