Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is it?

Several times the last month or so I have noticed millions of small aquatic creatures on the surface of the lake. I have a nice digital camera on lay-a-way at Wal-Mart and I can't wait until I can get it out.

So I 'll try to describe them and maybe one of you guys will recognize what I am talking about.

They are transparent in appearance, about a 1/4 of an inch long maybe, and have oversized looking eyes. They appear to be lifeless. Today I think I noticed clusters of them floating around in a jelly like substance.

The lake is a 3500 acre river fed reservoir that is a little low and has no noticable current right now.

Having a heck of a time catching any fish right now. Could this be why?

A few of the oldtimers say the lake has turned over but I thought this was more common to the fall cooldown period. Moose what do you think?

CATCH A BIG-UN
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

They could be any number of macroinvertebrate larva or nymph casings. When we get home from one of the lakes we fish, the sides of the boat are covered with the skins of mosquito larva. Dragonflies are still laying eggs on thewater and their nymphs have oversized eyes. These shed their skins as they grow and often the exoskeletons float to the surface. I'd bet on the mosquitos, though.
    - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern