Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing with the moon

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with the moon

I would like to hear about everyones experiences and techniques fishing at night.There are alot of advantages night fishing but there are plenty of dislikes also.Everyone has good and bad experiences so lets post some.Share techniques used because there will be new members reading that need to know.

Myself like fishing in the am or whenever the chance permits. Would be interesting to see what others have to say.

Peak Fishing Times & Lunar Phases

------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

bob

my best night fishin' is around new moon 12 to 4 am
    throw in clouds and a front coming in and hold on
    BUT 9 mo a year any night is better than daytime

should have mentioned major and minor times are just as important at night
    Last edited by Yodibuzz; 04-08-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Yodibuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I spent about 10 years almost every weekend one afternoon to the next bass fishing and this was before people were doing that. Well for the first 5 years or so we had Toledo Bend to ourselves other than a few crappie guys we would see using their lanterns back then. We could count on the full moon or near that being good fishing that would be best from around 10PM to 2 PM depending on timing of how full it was so where it was in the sky.

Crappie seem to be a lot different, but I like doing this too. Like to go out just before dark and stay about half the nigh now days since I am getting older and the wife gets ready to go in too early. If she was not with me chances I would stay longer if they are biting at all. I can usually convince her to hang in to 2AM if the crappie are acting well, LOL!

In the summer I like to use a 1/4 oz. jig and a #2 or #1 Gamakatsu drop shot hook about 18" above that for a minnow. I state the brand and style because it is a really nice sharp light wire hook so the minnow is more free to move about. I usually catch the bigger fish on the jig though and that is about 80% of the time.

I love fishing for any of them at night! Now I never crappie fished in the spring at night, but I use to do a lot of that bass fishing and of course not using any lights when bass fishing. I think maybe next year or if I can get something ready soon I may give it a try because bass fishing at night in the spring is great with a black spinner bait.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

bomdiiiddybomdiddybobdibombom diddybooomdiddybomdiddydngdedngdang dingadongding Blue Moon Blue Moon Blue Moon

That was a Doo Wop song in the 50's. It reminds me of my biggest Blue Catfish caught in Wichita Kansas. It was 53 pounds. The moon was blue and the moon was full. It was August 27, 1963

My glasses and tackle box were knocked into the Lake, but we got the fish and my glasses back! The fish was wearing them.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have drank Moon and I been Mooned. Purdy good experiences I'd say.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"