Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need a very accurate/durable digital scale????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need a very accurate/durable digital scale????

I've had (2) Berkley and (1) Rapala digital scales and none of them have been accurate when tested...nor have they lasted a single year. I would like to purchase a digital scale to keep in my boat that is both durable and extremely accurate...at least to the 1/2 oz. What do the experts on this board suggest? I'd probably be willing to spend up to $200 or so if it is accurate and will last. I'm tired of not knowing exactly how much the fish weigh when people see pics and ask how big and I can only give a length. I want one for weighing shellcracker, crappie, and bass. Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like

Chatillon Drag Scales from Melton International Tackle

I'm thinking about getting one of these.

Post Thanks / Like

A followup, a gage that will measure to .5 of an ounce is going to be very expensive and will not be something you would toss under your boat seat.

In my business I have used the Chatillon tension/compression gages for various testing qualifications. However they will run you around 5-6 hundred bucks.

The ones we used were precision instruments that I would never consider having in a boat.

I believe if Cane Pole reads this post he will have valuable input. Actually you might consider posting your question in the Tennessee forum addressed to Cane Pole
    Last edited by Scott38305; 04-08-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Topl Line Digital Scale, click on hanging/hook.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought this and a rubbermaid container that it fits in. I take it out of the container, and use the container as the weigh pan. It works well and measures to 0.1 oz.

DYMO SP5 5 lb. Digital Scale

Dayton

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had something similar to Ranger690. It was an old Pitney Bowes letter scale I bought at a "going out of business" auction.

I usually just use cotton scales for my big fish.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

There is a table put out by Bill Dance that give weight by the length of the crappie it's very close except during the spawn Same goes for bass. but who's counting OZ'S

Post Thanks / Like

caseydrew,

I run a crappie tournament series in Missouri and this was the most difficult part. Here's the best thing to do - get on ebay and start looking at digital postal scales. There are all different kinds and prices. You should be able to find a good scale at a reasonable price. You can keep the thing under the seat of your boat or in a compartment, however you will need to put your fish in a plastic bucket (something small from wal-mart). Don't forget to tare the plastic first!

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger690 View Post
    I bought this and a rubbermaid container that it fits in. I take it out of the container, and use the container as the weigh pan. It works well and measures to 0.1 oz.

DYMO SP5 5 lb. Digital Scale

Dayton
    Ranger, that's a good scale and it's pretty darn
    accurate. Some of the guys that fish Bobcat.s
    tournament use those.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

caseydrew, I have digital scales in my shop where I weigh items before and after freeze drying. They weigh in oz and grams. The deck is large enough for a small rectangular tub to fit on or you could attach it to the deck. I think I gave less than $40 for mine on eBay. They have a max of 20 lbs I think. They run off batteries or 110. I wouldn't want to submerge them but think they would work well for weighing tournament fish for culling. Go on ebay and put "digital scales" in the search.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff