Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Help - how does chat work?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help - how does chat work?

I see there is a section for a chat room on the main board - is this by invitation only? How does it work?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow chat room

Zig ... the chat room works like most others. You sign in with whatever name you want to use, then post your "message". I don't believe it is utilized very often, though ... since most of the people here seem to just check in every now and then, post a question or comment, then come back later for an answer, or to re-check what's going on. I would think that, in order for the chat room to be of any use - a date and time would have to be chosen, well in advance, and posted on the main message or a state message board. This would give potential chatters a chance to plan ahead and set aside time to be there. Therein lies the rub ... getting very many people together at the same time (time zone differences only making things a little more complicated ...LOL!) Not to mention the fact that those conversations will not be "shared information" with the membership as a whole ... since the messages are deleted, once the chat room is empty.

Now, if you wanted to just chat with one person or a select group of people, then it may serve you better. I think Ed put that feature on the original Crappie.com site for those who "may want" to use it. I've been on this site for several years now - and have never made use of it. I like to "think" about what I'm saying, edit my message for content and clarity, then proof read it before submitting it. I'm not an especially fast typist, nor do I know much of the chat room "shorthand", either....so I tend to opt for the message boards & e-mail route, for the exchange of ideas. But, it's there and seemingly functional - so, if you want to use it - go for it ! .......luck2ya ...........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chat Rooms

Well I have been using the internet for about 8 years now and a lot of that time I was involved in chat rooms. I like the forum here better for the same reasons that CP listed. You can take your time and look stuff up and make the post at your leisure. In a chat room you better be a good typer or you will never get a word in edgewise if there are a lot of chatty people. The text will scroll up and off the screen before you can type your messages in some chat rooms. MSN TYPES. And also some of the chat rooms that I have been in were not moderated and you would not believe what some guys will say. Once I got on the MSN chat and was talking to some people from Australia. The girls were nice but then some guy got in the room and the explisatives started showing up in the text. Well I can hear that out in the real word at the local bars but I prefer not to have to deal with that sort of language (especially when it's in WRITING and documented on someone's servers for years later) So I stayed out of unmoderated chats and found the moderated forums.

Now don't get me wrong as the Chats can be a great tool when used properly and I am sure all the Crappie.com people would be great in our chat room.

But as CP said one would have to set up a time to start the chat and make sure that everyone in all the different time zones had the right time for their time zone posted so everyone could be there at the same time. Most people will poke their heads into a chat room and finding no one there will leave after a few minutes. It's rather boring in a chat room with just yourself to talk too!

I know that some other fishing forums have been conducting chats and have been hosted by some fishing guides.

hummm. Wonder if any crappie fishing guides would volunteer to hold a chat session some evening this winter? LOL any volunteers?

I know one guy that may want to give a chat on how to aviod Green Buoys. LOL

PS Just seeing if he is reading this board or not these days.

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    Zig ... the chat room works like most others. You sign in with whatever name you want to use, then post your "message". I don't believe it is utilized very often, though ... since most of the people here seem to just check in every now and then, post a question or comment, then come back later for an answer, or to re-check what's going on. I would think that, in order for the chat room to be of any use - a date and time would have to be chosen, well in advance, and posted on the main message or a state message board. This would give potential chatters a chance to plan ahead and set aside time to be there. Therein lies the rub ... getting very many people together at the same time (time zone differences only making things a little more complicated ...LOL!) Not to mention the fact that those conversations will not be "shared information" with the membership as a whole ... since the messages are deleted, once the chat room is empty.

Now, if you wanted to just chat with one person or a select group of people, then it may serve you better. I think Ed put that feature on the original Crappie.com site for those who "may want" to use it. I've been on this site for several years now - and have never made use of it. I like to "think" about what I'm saying, edit my message for content and clarity, then proof read it before submitting it. I'm not an especially fast typist, nor do I know much of the chat room "shorthand", either....so I tend to opt for the message boards & e-mail route, for the exchange of ideas. But, it's there and seemingly functional - so, if you want to use it - go for it ! .......luck2ya ...........cp
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to hear that story... I am up for a scheduled chat whenever you guys are..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Chat Room

The Crappie.com's Chat Room used to be busy all the time until a couple years ago when they changed to the new version. There was always 5 or so people in there talking crappie fishing. Really missed that. All we need to do is log into the chat room, and if there's no one there, save the screen and browse through the internet and check back often and see if anyone shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Well I have been using the internet for about 8 years now and a lot of that time I was involved in chat rooms. I like the forum here better for the same reasons that CP listed. You can take your time and look stuff up and make the post at your leisure. In a chat room you better be a good typer or you will never get a word in edgewise if there are a lot of chatty people. The text will scroll up and off the screen before you can type your messages in some chat rooms. MSN TYPES. And also some of the chat rooms that I have been in were not moderated and you would not believe what some guys will say. Once I got on the MSN chat and was talking to some people from Australia. The girls were nice but then some guy got in the room and the explisatives started showing up in the text. Well I can hear that out in the real word at the local bars but I prefer not to have to deal with that sort of language (especially when it's in WRITING and documented on someone's servers for years later) So I stayed out of unmoderated chats and found the moderated forums.

Now don't get me wrong as the Chats can be a great tool when used properly and I am sure all the Crappie.com people would be great in our chat room.

But as CP said one would have to set up a time to start the chat and make sure that everyone in all the different time zones had the right time for their time zone posted so everyone could be there at the same time. Most people will poke their heads into a chat room and finding no one there will leave after a few minutes. It's rather boring in a chat room with just yourself to talk too!

I know that some other fishing forums have been conducting chats and have been hosted by some fishing guides.

hummm. Wonder if any crappie fishing guides would volunteer to hold a chat session some evening this winter? LOL any volunteers?

I know one guy that may want to give a chat on how to aviod Green Buoys. LOL

PS Just seeing if he is reading this board or not these days.

campbell Guest

CRAPPIE FISHERMAN NEEDS HELP CHARLIE CAMPBELL OF DIVISION 3 HAS LIVER CANCER AND NEEDS A TRANSPLANT WE ARE ASKING THAT IF YOU WANT TO DONATE SEND THEM TO 624 EAST STEPHENSON MARION INDIANA 46952 OR YOU CAN E-MAIL HIM AT [email protected] just to say hello

thank you to all whom have donated and sent e-mails it helps with his spirt.

yours truly, BECCA CAMPBELL