View Full Version : High Blood Pressure

04-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Checked my pressure and it is 140 over 95. My wife is on me about exercising so I was gonna check and see if anyone has any good recipes that you would like to share that would be healthy for me. Thanks

04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
140 and 95 are both high numbers. (140 and 90 are the "official" highs.) You need to talk to your doctor if you haven't already. It's not called the "silent killer" for nothing. You may not feel bad at all, but it can lead to all sorts of serious problems (stroke, heart attack, etc.)

Losing weight, exercising regularly, and avoiding salt can all help, but they don't help everybody. Many people still require medication. That's why you need to discuss this with your doctor.

And don't forget: go see your doctor.

04-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Disco gave you some good advice, I am 48 years old and have been taking medication for 20 years. See your Doctor.

Risen a crappie fisherman
04-07-2009, 09:03 PM
A glass of Red wine a day can help

04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Dude, don't mess around and see your Dr. I have been on BPM for 4 months now. Here is what the Dr. told me:

1. skip the fries at mickey d's
2. exercise at least 30 min a day
3. grilled crappie are better for you than fried crappie.
4. take these pills

04-07-2009, 09:21 PM
A glass of Red wine a day can helpThis advise was also given to me by my doctor, and I abide by it. 140 over 90 is considered normal for me. 120-130 heart rate is typical, and 150 is not uncommon. Yes, it's the silent killer. I take the medication, but I don't eat healty. I love salt. I love fried foods. I eat fried fish at least three times a week. Therefore, I don't have any real good healthy advise for you. Just work with your doctor, and I'll watch this one to see if somebody has some new advice. Good Luck!

04-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Checked my pressure and it is 140 over 95. My wife is on me about exercising so I was gonna check and see if anyone has any good recipes that you would like to share that would be healthy for me. Thanks

I would say you got 3 options.
Option 1. Go see a doctor. He (his kind) are the only people authorized to order lab work so things can be checked on. He does this to get a "base line" of how you are now and see which way he needs to lead you by either diet or medication.

Option 2. Go see a doctor. He is the one who can tell you if your healthy enough to start an excersize regime. He may want to get the results from option 1 and put you on meds before telling you what and how to excersize.

Option 3. Wait around like I did, get these little inconviences like a bit short on breath, a little soreness in the chest (BUT NEVER HAD ANY PAIN WHAT SO EVER) that went away after a min or so of rest, till I had to tell my wife that I thought something was really wrong. It felt wrong too. More tightness, tingling in left elbow, pulling feeling in left bicept muscle and could not sit any way that was confortable BUT STILL NO PAIN. Ended up with 3 stints and 5 pills a day. He said I was lucky. A bit more blockage would have been a chest ripper and a long recovery time.

I had to change a few things, but nothing drastic. Still enjoy fried foods a couple times a week, as long as my LDL stays down, ride my bike 4-9 miles a week and fish all I want to. Main point is, still here to fish all I want to.

Go see the doc dude. Everyone over 40 should at least once a year. Let them take that measley 2 or 3 tubes of blood and run the numbers. May be the best waste of a morning you ever did.
I'll get down now and go get on the balcony.
P.S. I quit smoking too after 45 years. I'll tell ya how to do that too the easy way.

04-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Its a must, go see your doctor. Get referred to a cardiologist ( a specialist who strictly deals with heart and blood vessel issues). I say this because if anything is wrong with your heart, he will have to be the one to fix it, so go to him first and cut out the middle man. You might have to have a referral, so check with your insurance.
By starting with a cardiologist first, he will treat ALL issues relating to your cardiac disease, like high cholesterol, genetics & family history, smoking, diet and other things. He will have access to help groups, medication samples, dietitians and the such. But most importantly, it will establish continuity of care.
Just like your regular doctor you want someone you trust and have a working relationship with. Cardiac disease is not something to take lightly.
I heard an ol' saying once that I repeat often-- " the more proactive you are, the less reactive you will have to be." Take the easy steps now, before you or someone else on your behalf, has to take the difficult ones.


04-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Been managing mine for over 20 years now. 40 mg. of Lisinopril once a day. I'm a big ole boy! 5'10" 240+. Mine typically runs 130 over 80 with medication. I'm trying to lose a little weight to see if I could help drop it a few more points. Pulse runs about 76 bpm.
Go see a doctor! He has changed my strength of my script twice over the years.

04-08-2009, 04:31 AM
ditto on the doctor! I have been told by several people in the know, that fish oil or flax seed oil can help alot of things pertaining to the vascular system. I get the fish oil pills from walmart, they are not very expensive.

04-08-2009, 06:03 AM
I take 8 1000mg fish oil Omega 3 pills a day. I am also a big boy....and so far my blood pressure has been in great shape. The fish oil helps on the triglycirites also. The doctor keeps an great check on my blood pressure as he knows I am in the catagory for blood pressure problems.

04-08-2009, 06:20 AM
You've got a little worse than border line HBP. Mine ran about that high or a little higher until I got on blood pressure medication, lost some weight, exersized more but probably still not enough and watched my diet (more fruit and veges less salt). If I fried my food (chicken and fish), I used canola oil. Also started taking some supplements (multivitiamin, garlic, omega 3 fish oil and flaxseed oil capsuls). It went right on down. Now I break my BP medicine in half and the BP has remained the same (130/70 average) My doctor recomended the ReliOn HEM-741CREL BP monitor. It works great. It's accurate and keeps a record of your readings. And it's relatively cheap. Good luck!

04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
See your doctor before it's a have to. In Nov.'08 while carrying my minnow bucket i had some 'gas' discomfort, few minutes rest was ok but didn't go fishing, the next day had 'discomfort' getting the newspaper and same 'discomfort' walking to the corner and back, so off to the doc. Have had high cholesterol levels for 20+ years but ignored it. Nov.21,'08 had 5 stents put in and am told i was close to THE BIG ONE, now bp runs 132/68 rate 54 and fished over 50 times so far this year, cholesterol levels now 130 and am thankful for each day----see your doctor and then catch a bunch.--shu

Don G
04-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Take the advice listed above...It is better to walk into a doctor's office than to be carried into an Emergency Room by the rescue squad..

04-08-2009, 07:50 AM
I denied my HBP because I had heard of the "birth control" side effect. Not that I was getting any to start with. I just wanted to know that if the oportunity ever came up, something else would too. That hasn't been a problem in the last 5 years.

04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I had 5 bypasses in 2000 so I can speak with a bit of knowing what can happen.

See you Doctor and he should put you on some meds most likely. Eat oatmeal for breakfast to help lower your cholesterol. Watch your health as you only have one shot at your life.


04-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks fellas. All good advice and I'll surely take it to heart.

05-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Mine was 165/105. Now 132/72
Went to see the doc.
Put me on Triampterene once a day, pills are cheap $15 per hundred.
Lost 97 pounds, was 312 now 215 over one year.
Been doin the pill thing now for 15years, no problems.
I like fishin too much too get sick!!!!

Go see the Doc!!!!!!!


Arkie John
05-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Don't be your own doctor, bud! Get to a doctor and let him/her put you on bp medication asap. If your bp is what you say at a rest, think of what it might be with you walking around.

It's nothin' to mess with. Get to your doctor or risk your health. He'll surely put you on the right track and with the aid of the proper meds to do the trick. You owe it to your family and yourself...It's just something a man's gotta do...go to the doctor.