Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 2000 Mercury 40hp question

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2000 Mercury 40hp question

I have a question on this motor does the fuel filter come apart and have a screen inside it or do you just have to replace the whole shooting match? I'm replacing the fuel hose and bulb and trying to figure the fuel filter out to replace/clean it. The motor has set for over a year and hardly been ran at all before that and it doesn't want to run. I drained the old gas, changed the spark plugs and once I get these things done it gets over my head. I guess more than likely it's probably in the carbeurator if it isn't any of these things does that sound right?

Post Thanks / Like

Replace all hose starting at the tank, including the primer bulb. Clean the carb, install new plugs, and replace inline filter. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an excellent post that covers situations like yours. Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy - iboats Boating Forums
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the filter unscrews. You will probably have to remove the whole unit just so you can get a good grip on the thing. And it will be on there good but it will come off. Once it's off, you can take the filter element out and wash it and the sight bowl in a cleaning solvent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!