Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Heading to Weiss for a guided trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heading to Weiss for a guided trip.

Heading to Weiss for a guided trip with Darrell Baker on the 30th of April. I will get there and fish from my boat on the 29th so any tips would be great for the first evening I will be there. Any particular colors work better at Weiss? Thanks for any input and hope to see some of you great Americans on the water.

Smitty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMITTY 58D View Post
    Heading to Weiss for a guided trip with Darrell Baker on the 30th of April. I will get there and fish from my boat on the 29th so any tips would be great for the first evening I will be there. Any particular colors work better at Weiss? Thanks for any input and hope to see some of you great Americans on the water.

Smitty
    dark colors and a chart tail always work. Southern pro hot grubs or laser jigs.
    red wasp has been good to a few people

Post Thanks / Like

make sure you give us a report on how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Laserdoc your jigs are always fished below a float or verticle fished right? Does anyone dock shoot with them and let them slowly sink because some of your jigs look as if they have a visable tail that could hold up to the water resistance of a falling jig. Thanks for the replies so far and I will let you all know how I did. Oh I caught 20 today in the wind fishing from the bank in about 30 minutes. All this high water shot a bunch of them over our spillway and were easy pickings for a double jig rig.

Post Thanks / Like

hey smitty darrell is a super uide and alot of fun to fish with, the colors down here vary from hour to hour and day to day,maybe the weather will be normal by then, im sent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMITTY 58D View Post
    Laserdoc your jigs are always fished below a float or verticle fished right? Does anyone dock shoot with them and let them slowly sink because some of your jigs look as if they have a visible tail that could hold up to the water resistance of a falling jig. Thanks for the replies so far and I will let you all know how I did. Oh I caught 20 today in the wind fishing from the bank in about 30 minutes. All this high water shot a bunch of them over our spillway and were easy pickings for a double jig rig.
    They are great to dock shoot with. All the ones with a hackle feather tail hold water and will fall like a minnow. The ones with the spotted guinea like the midnight express,red wasp or the hulk will cause it more to flutter on the fall because it has a wide flat spot on it. But actually they even work trolling. Just ask slabby steve or any others. Steve ordered over 100 of the green hornets,bumble bee,etc... and trolls with them. The biggest one to date for me was trolling the red wasp. Seems to be the best seller.
    Here is one I made up last night that looks just like a minnow
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

You will love fishing with Darrell. He is a great guy and will work hard to put you on the fish. Bring him a Nutra System bar and he will be in hog heaven!

Post Thanks / Like

Nutra system Bar huh. I might have to do that. I know with the time of year we will be there they are in a post spawn state but with the weather that we have had what do you all think. Are we gonna have some luck catching some before we link up with Darrell if we shoot docks in the evening? I think we can get a good 4 hrs of fishing in wed evening. What is a good place to eat in that area as well? Looking for some good local food that we cant get anywhere else for dinner. Thanks again to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Smitty - we fished with Darrell in late Feb. The weather and fish did not cooperate much at all but we still had a great time with Darrell and he does work hard to find fish. He is not afraid to drive (or boat) the extra mile to put fish in the boat. You will have a better idea on the colors that are hot after you fish with Darrell but I would not pay too much attention to the posts from most guides on hot colors. He and I are both (weight challenged) and he had lost quite a bit on Nutra system. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

Speckbuster thank you for the mentorship there. My wife is from Rochester Indiana and we are always driving up there. What big city do you live close to? Rochester is about 45 minutes North of Kokomo.