PDA

View Full Version : Question, is this crappie?

crappie addict
04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
I caught several slabs the on Sunday and found these in their stomachs. The fish that is by itself looks like a crappie fry to me. The picture of the four fish, two look like small bream and two look like crappie. So here's my question, IF some of them are crappie, how old would they be? MY thought is that they could be fry from the full moon in March. Although we have had some cold snaps, it was unseasonably warm in the early spring. Any thoughts would be appreciated.:)

slipbobber
04-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Sure looks like a crappie to me.

wasabi
04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
fry em up and see if they taste like crappie

gonefishing
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
I would say that they are from last year. I seen a school of fish last year and had a big bait net in the boat. I managed to scope up a sample and it was crappie about 1n inch long and it was in may.

Sam W

fish_4_all
04-07-2009, 12:51 PM
They could be crappie fry, could be gills, could be perch fry. Could also be chubs or other bait fish.

But my first guess would be crappie or gills from the coloration.

Arkie John
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Looks like a crappie to me--2008 variety.

Now...show us some SLABS! :D

aj

Bob # 1
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
They could be crappie fry, could be gills, could be perch fry. Could also be chubs or other bait fish.

But my first guess would be crappie or gills from the coloration.

Fry them you will soon know as crappie taste the best:D

crappie addict
04-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Arkie John, these are fish that ate those fry.:)

Tiger
04-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't think that fry is from last years spawn. Last years fish would surely be bigger than that. I read somewhere that crappie can grow to be eight inches in the first year. Most crappie spawn in the spring, however I would imagine a few spawn in the summer and in fall. Natures way of making sure the species survives.

smashdn
04-07-2009, 02:48 PM
KDFWR studies have shown that it takes 3 years for crappie to be legal harvestable size (10") on Kentucky Lake. Now I would imagine with milder weather and a longer growing season that crappie would grow faster in Louisiana but not that fast.

shuorc
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Looks like crappie, after the second set of pics i want to go fishing(nice fish).--shu

Fatman
04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
Nice Crappie!!!!!!!!! the chewed up ones look like crappie from the skin coloration of the ones that have it the really small ones could be shad.

fatman

crappie12
04-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Whatever they be, those were some nice fish that ate them!:D

bc1448
04-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Whatever they be, those were some nice fish that ate them!:D

I agree... the only thing that I would worry about is that they swallowed your jig!!! :D:D:D Those are some nice slabs!
Blake

Kman
04-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Not even CLOSE to being accurate on the 8" in a year...anywhere.

The fish that hatched after Katrina killed most our fish here in south central LA on the Tickfaw River system took 3 YEARS to get to 9". The next summer after Katrina they were about 3" long. Caught COUNTLESS 3"ers on jigs that summer. Summer after that they were all about 5-6 inches and then the 3rd summer they seemed to growth spurt and most were 9-9.5" long.

I know because I fished the system for the last 25 years. Those small fish when we caught them, thats almost ALL you would catch. I mean, like 30-40 of them per trip. It was kinda cool, but also depressing as it became clear, that we were watching these fish grow.

Bad news is Gustav did the same thing. Started our clock all over again. Thru this experience, I have talked to many biologists with the LDWF and have conlcuded that it takes about 6 years, with no further storms, for a population to get back to normal. BUMMER!:mad:

crappie addict
04-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks! Yes they were some nice fish. Some of the best this year. Kman I sure feel for you and everybody effected by the storms. Our pond got wipe out with hurricane Rita and had just started showing signs of recovery when Ike hit.:mad:

I did talk to a biologist about an hour ago and explained the body of water and conditions. A shallow cypress lake, lots of veg. and no water deeper than 8ft. and above normal warm weather and He said it is possible that they could be from two months ago, depending on the water temp and food source. I agree with some of the others, why worry about. Just worry about the fact that will bite my jig.:) Something to think about though.

Fishin Addiction
04-07-2009, 06:58 PM
There is no doubt some fish have laid out early. I read an article said thats what crappie do for survival. The early fry will eat the later spawn. and the later spawnning fish will eat the early fry. Does that make any sense?? Couldn't word it as good as they did. I guess that's why they lay so many. They need to feed themselves and carry on the next generation.

smoothlures
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Not sure about crappie, but many fish grow quickly their first year, then slow down to an inch or two a year. Looks like crappie to me, too.

thankfull
04-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Good looking slabs there Addict.

crappieseeker
04-07-2009, 09:25 PM
I have also read in the past where a crappie can reach 8 to 9 inches in its first year and then slow to around maybe 2 on average the remaining years. I cant remember anything about where i read it either, other than it being in a book or magazine, some sort of reputable source. We even debated this topic a few years ago. I would not think it to be possible, just as some have said, but like you, I did read it somewhere before. It was certainly a crappie fry and it is very common for them to eat their young. We actually covered this topic tonight n Biology class. Survival of the fittest. The teacher said fish lay many many eggs due to the fact that they eat some of their fry for survival, so they lay many eggs because alot of them will not survive.

jlaughlin72
04-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Not even CLOSE to being accurate on the 8" in a year...anywhere.

The fish that hatched after Katrina killed most our fish here in south central LA on the Tickfaw River system took 3 YEARS to get to 9". The next summer after Katrina they were about 3" long. Caught COUNTLESS 3"ers on jigs that summer. Summer after that they were all about 5-6 inches and then the 3rd summer they seemed to growth spurt and most were 9-9.5" long.

I know because I fished the system for the last 25 years. Those small fish when we caught them, thats almost ALL you would catch. I mean, like 30-40 of them per trip. It was kinda cool, but also depressing as it became clear, that we were watching these fish grow.

Bad news is Gustav did the same thing. Started our clock all over again. Thru this experience, I have talked to many biologists with the LDWF and have conlcuded that it takes about 6 years, with no further storms, for a population to get back to normal. BUMMER!:mad:

I used to fish Lacassine pool, and the year after Rita, didn't catch squat.. but the next year we were able to catch some 7-8 inch fish, I think it has alot to do with where they are and what they have to feed on as to how fast they will grow.

jhef
04-07-2009, 11:39 PM
i stocked a pond with some crappie that i bought from the fish truck at the co op , first year they get to about 8 inches, i kept a few in my aquarium, them greedy suckers ate my small bass that i stocked at the same time and one even choked to death on a small catfish lol, first year they grow quick if the food is available, also told they will start spawning after a year,

crappie addict
04-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the response folks!!!:) I have been amazed in recent years, looking at the stomach contents of crappie. There is no doubt in my mind that crappie are ferocious! If they can get it in their mouth, they'll try to eat it! My biggest fish(2lbs. 7oz.) last year was off of the river and it had 10 inch gizzard shad in it's mouth and still bit my jig!!! I reach in to get my jig out and saw the tail, and couldn't believe how big it was and the fish STILL ate my jig!!!:eek: Crazy!!! Well, can't wait to go again!:D Hope everybody can get on the water soon! :)

crappieseeker
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I use to cut open the belly of alot of fish i use to clean and one bass i caught had 2 rubber worms, 2 rubber lizards and a sassy shad type rubber fish in its belly. Some of the crappie i have cut open were just packed full of small fish.

JUNGLEJIMJIGS
04-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Crappie grow faster than gills.I'm guessing their baby gills.I think a yearling crappie would be at least 3 inches long. I've caught a couple crappie that size this year. I like checkin what's in the bellys ,too. Never seem to get a fresh kill,all seem to look like the one's in the picture.nice slabs.

blairarnold
04-09-2009, 04:35 PM
The Ark. Game & Fish Commission came out with a Crappie Management Plan in 2002. It's an interesting document. It says that in a decent lake crappie ought to reach 8" - 11" in 2+ years of age, and they really hope for 9" - 11". They do say that crappie start gaining weight much quicker after they hit 9".