Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first open water trip this season

Post Thanks / Like

Default first open water trip this season

Well March 25, provided enough open water for me to finally get my kayak out and try my luck at some cold water speck fishing. A couple of the small bays and backwater areas still had ice on them but the majority of the main lake was open water. Water temps ranged from 36 - 41. I was using my favorite little 1/64 oz chartreuse jig tipped with 1/2 of an Eagle Claw Crappie Bait. Suspending the rig 14' feet under a spring bobber using a Shakespeare 16' Wonderpole was just the combination needed to put some nice specks in the kayak. I hope this is a sign for how the rest of my season is going to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Frank ! Can't wait till I get up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish! Sure wish I could get them to cooperate with me that well.

What kind of yak is that, looks like one made for fishing? Looks very open, I have a short one with closed in top on the front and back and makes for some storage problems. I cram so much stuff in front of me, my legs dont fit and I have to lay them up top half the time. Also dont see a paddle in the picts, you don't have a motor mount do you????? I need to come up with a way to run an anchor for mine.

Nice Job!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Catch Slab I Sure Wish I Could Find One Of Those Wonder
    Poles Here In Tennessee Been Searching All Day Today And
    No One Seems To Have Them In Stock

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of fish ya caught there!
    "Fletch had a catch of a lifetime and he was even standing up when he caught it!:p"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess of specs!!!!!!!! Hopefully you didn't get hit with the 8" of snow parts of MI had.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch.

Post Thanks / Like

hey AtticaFish, the kayak I use is by Nativewatercraft. It is their Ultimate 14.5 model, which is a 14.5 foot tandem with removable seats. When I am by myself I just remove the front seat and place the rear seat in the center. It has a completely open cockpit, much like that of a canoe. I do not use a motor but there are trolling motor mounts available. I have been kayak fishing for more than 20 years and have found this to be the best one so far. It is also my duck boat.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Checked out the nativewatercraft website and those boats do look very nice! Mine is a 6.5" cheapest model I could find (think $250 for boat and carrier) have had it for 2 years and thinking I need something better. Tried to go out once by myself with my 16' alum. canoe and was laid up for a week with a soar back. Got the kayak and love it!

Couldn't find a dealer around me that actually sold the native yaks to find some prices, mostly just the native wc equipment and accessories. Not sure how far north into MI you are, but where did you get yours?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast