Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultralight Casting Rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Ultralight Casting Rods?

Hi! I've been lurking here awhile and really enjoy the board so I decided to join. Nice place you have here! :D

I have a question on the availability of casting style rods in the ultralight and light weight rods.

I like to fish for crappie and bluegill with a casting style rod and a Zebco Omega Z02. Use the tiny crank baits and Mepps spinners, stuff like that. Nothing fancy I guess, but I like the feel of a rod with a trigger rather than using a spinning rod for throwing lures. I'm currently using a 5'6" Eagle Claw X-Steam, which works great, but the Eagle Claw website doesn't show this model in the casting, just the spinning rod version. so it seems I can't get another one of those either.

But it seems really tough to find casting style rods in the lighter actions.

Any help/recommendations out there?

Thanks!! Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Joe58, Welcome aboard....This might sound a little crazy but this is what I would do if I couldn't find a nice casting rod (if it just had to be a casting rod with a trigger).This would cost some extra $$,but I would go out and get a nice spinning rod,then find someone in the area that builds or repairs rods and have them put a casting handle on it.Hope this helped.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joe, Welcome aboard. I also read for a long time before I jumped in. This is a great place to talk to other crappie fisherman and learn a lot. Once you start posting regularly it's a lot of fun.

I use spinning rods for casting but I too like a good quality casting outfit. I would suggest Cabela's first and then Bass Pro. I bought a Wally Marshall 7' spinning rod that I like really well.

Back 15 or so years I bought a little 5 piece casting combo by Daiwa that broke down and went into a small case that wasn't probably a foot long. Caught lots of bream and crappie and had a blast using this ultralight outfit!

I think I'll have to go by Mom and Dad's and see if it's still there. I live on Lake Nimrod in Westcentral Ark. and am surrounded by National Forest that is dotted with manmade watershed lakes. I hear from some of the guys around here that they are loaded with big bream.

CATCH A BIG-UN
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Default spinning reel

welcome aboard to the best site .i have been using a shimano 750b ultra light reel on a BnM 5.5ft (dock shooter)and that combination works well 4 me. i also use the sames reel on a berckley cheery rod 5.5 ft u/l rod and love it too i am looking at buying the shimano u/l spinning reel rod and try them i buy these items at academy sports and outdoors reels run bout 45$ rods round 25 just a few suggetions again welcome aboard and keep posting
    :p keep it wet
    take a kid fishing
    born to fish
    forced to work :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the welcomes and responses.

I went to the BnM website since I noticed they are a sponser and the were mentioned in one of the responses and a see they list a 5.5' casting rod that looks like it will fit the bill. Worth checking out for sure and reasonably priced.

thanks again! :D

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, Welcome to the board. You will find the answers to a lot of your questions here and there it’s always good to have another friend.

may your livewells stay full, and your rods stay bent.

Kevin