PDA

View Full Version : drifting for crappie

chippewa
04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
does anyone like to drift for the crappie? I live on a private lake with no structure and the best method I have found is to drift for the craps... I have been doing it for about 7 years and I have gotten pretty good at it... If it gets too windy I have drift socks to slow me down.. if I find a real hot area we will stop, anchor, and cast for some fun.... I have some ok pics in the OH forum of my latest catch.....

sea-sons
04-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Sounds like a good way to get'um.

unknown 5
04-07-2009, 07:31 AM
Sometimes, drifting is the only method that works.

foul hook
04-07-2009, 08:31 AM
That is the method used before TM. Go up wind turn the boat side ways hang all the cane poles out one side and get a holt.

Uncle BS
04-07-2009, 10:12 AM
It is how long lineing got started. I used to drift, then came trolling motors and jigs, the rest is history!

feelay
04-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I drift on the windy days using socks, saves the troll batteries.

Glenn
04-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Wind pretty much blows all the time in my area. I drift 90% of the time, also have two drift socks. If I find a hot area, I'll drift thru it several times, or, maybe go to the trolling motor.

Arkie John
04-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I really like drift fishing if the wind is not too stiff. If it's stiff, I troll into it. If not, I drift with it. I like to drift with the front of the boat facing the wind. This way my electronics (tm mounted transducer) tells me what coming up. If I sky a good place or a school of fish, I have the time to accurately throw out a marker and make another run, or anchor and fish.

Drifting is a relaxing, favorite way of mine to pass a post-spawn/summer/fall/winter day. <><

aj

thankfull
04-07-2009, 02:24 PM
My dad daughter and I used to go to lake weiss and drift from the bridge on spring ck. to the junction of cowan and catch a lot of fish. have been to impatient to do that scince the trolling motors came out.