Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Thinking about a console GPS, any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking about a console GPS, any suggestions?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and getting a console mounted GPS. I was wanting some suggestions. I have a Garmin E-trex handheld, and I use GPS/GIS about everyday at work; So I'm thinking that I wouldn't have any trouble using any of the models availiable today. I'm thinking either Lowrance/eagle or either Garmin, because I have had good luck with both brands. Sonar would be OK too. I have an old hummingbird LCD on the console now. It was plenty good ten or fifteen years ago, but for some reason now, I can't help but believe it's not good enough. I would probably try to rig a through the hull transducer so sonar would still work with the boat up on plane going down the lake. Also I would rather not spend 1200 dollars on a gps for the 20 year old skeeter.

Post Thanks / Like

CA, I have been using a Garmin 168 unit for three years. This unit will get me right on the spot every time. The 168 is a combo gps/sonar unit. You should be able to get one of these units for around $300.00. It is very user friendly. If you have any questions on this unit, feel free to contact me at any time. My email is [email protected]
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a buddy thats got a Lowrance LMS 332C and its awesome but an Eagle FishElite 500C is nearly the same thing $100 cheaper. And I would guess a Lowrance M68C GPS/SONAR is pretty good too. Its about $400.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are looking for color my Lowrance LMS 480 would not be the one, but if you are not looking for color it's great. I use a Navtronics MMC map which is another $129. My son has the same thing but the $199 MMC, but I think it just has too much stuff on it for me. Also the power is really good on the LMS 480. Go to Lowrance site and compare units until you see what features you want and how much they will cost depends on many things.

I think the 332c is about the same unit except color.

All I know is for the sonar side of it I absolutely like the 480 pix they have.

Just make sure you get as much power and Pix you can stand dollar wise.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Wardy Guest

I also have the LMS 480 with the 199.00 MMC. The options seem endless. The 4000 watts seem to be the most offered. Most times puts me within feet. The split screen sonar/gps is great. This unit also has flasher mode but is tough to read in blck/wht. To mark a waypoint.. just push the waypoint button twice... BINK!!!...
    The X-15' have gone down in price quie a bit. You are gonna get wat you pay for. I have friends who went cheap and have gotten so frustrated that they just gave up on he gps. I do like the garmin "see through technology" tho. If I had to switch.. Garmin would be the way. 168/172.
    Last edited by Wardy; 08-09-2005 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased an Eagle 320 and love it. It was reasonably priced and has a good clear display. It was about $160. It doesn't have a GPS but I have a portable one that I carry.