Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I sure messed up / Blown '88 DT150

Post Thanks / Like

Default I sure messed up / Blown '88 DT150

Just got this motor w/ a bad lower unit, and My blown motor with a good lower unit. Was doing fine until I forgot to clear the raw gas out of my fuel lines, before I primed the carbs. Now I have 2 blown motors.

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear that. Were you running it fast or just idle?

Post Thanks / Like

fired it up on muffs, and it acted cold and didn't want to run at idle speed so run it up about 1800 rpms, not high but high enough

Post Thanks / Like

Default You may be OK

If the rings siezed, you may still be OK. But it the bearings and crank are scored you have some awful choices to make.

Right now I need a starter for my 78 Johnson (85 Hp) and I'm almost in the same boat as you when it comes to bucks over need.:o
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just the raw gas in the lines isn't enough to blow the motor. Have you ran a compression check?
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Not with a gauge but spun it while holding finger over that cylinder, no piston push, as with the other cyl's. Boy I'd sure like it to be something else. I guess even if it didn't hole the cyl, it probably broke a ring, and that's not going to be a pretty scene in the cyl wall. I haven't pulled the head off yet. I'm working under a shade tree, and we've been under this big cold front. It dipped to mid 30's yesterday and was rain/snow mix most of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Blow the head and exhaust cover off of it and see if you scored the piston/cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Supposed to be better weather tomorrow, if I get home early enough I'll do that. I was so sick about it happening. I just covered the boat and went inside. I've called a couple of mechanics, and I'm looking at $$$$ if they do it all, and I'm a little lacking for this kind of severity of mechanicing. I could take it apart and all, but measuring clearances with any kind of knowledge, is a little out of my league for these kind of motors. I've rebuilt lawnmower engines, but multi-cylinder and two cycle are a different class than lawnmower engines. But either way I go, it'll have to be on a tight budget, I'm stretched pretty good right now. My work has slowed to about 4 days a week. My reserves are short now.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a manual, and take the plung. You can do it. You are just adding more cylinders with no camshaft.

Post Thanks / Like

I took apart both motors left side heads. I have more problems than I first thought. The good news is the cyl walls on the left side at least are not scored. The bad news is the piston came apart at the wrist pin, and pieces of the piston put a hole in the intake half of the crankcase. Also, the 87 has been bored .015 over. So I'm guessing that it'd be better to buy a matching size piston for the 88 cyl than to have half the motor with oversize pistons and the other side at original size. I would make and educated guess it would create some imbalance and wear out or tear apart the motor at high revs? I can tear apart the 87 crankcase to get the intake half of the crankcase, it would just involve a whole lot more time and effort. So my question is, do you think its possible that I could get it going with minimal cost. And would I need to hone all the cyl and have the crank worked on if they visually look alright. Meaning, no scoring. If there is scoring then it would mean all new rods/bearings,etc. Cost would start climbing then. I was hoping for bores being the same and just switching jugs and pistons without honing, but that was before I knew I had a hole in the crankcase. Whatcha think?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast