Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my tournament day

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default my tournament day

what a miserable day for me and my poor boat and motor. I treated my equipment like hell all day long.

It all started this morning at the bait shop. The one I told everybody they should use went out of business LAST WEEK. The store didn't look out of business, so we waited a good 20 minutes for them to open. Ended up going somewhere else and geting alate start. This is important to remember later on in this story. Anyway, stopped and got 18 gallons of gas, and a pound of shinners. Didn't have toughies, which is what we all usually fish with. No big deal though.

Anyway, get to the boat ramp. can't drive the stakes into the ground for the banners. Like solid rock. Do the best we can. Launch the boats, get everyone on their merry way.

I take off with my 200 merc screaming up the lake about 3-5 miles to Srping creek. Got my buddies following me. Just as I get in front of the Paper mill, it hits me, and I nearly throw up instantly. I FORGOT TO PUT OIL IN THE GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOly $(*&. I stop immediatley. The motor is running great. Nothing weird. Have I goten away with something as serious as this could have been? apparently so. Pat Stegall comes up beside me and he can tell something is bad wrong. I am pale as a ghost. I ask him" Please, tell me you have some oil". He says yes and throws me what is left in a gallon bottle. I thank him 100 times and look at the bottle. It has exactly 3 quarts left. Just what I need. 3 quarts right!! WRONG I need 3 PINTS. I poor in 3 quarts. This is the second, really stupid-in a hurry- increadily dumb mistake of the day. I crank up, runs like a scalded dog to my fishin hole

I fish for 2 hours, catch 3 fish. Decide to move. The motor cranks, put in in gear, and putt putt putt putt putt dies. Now, with what little knowledge I have of motors, I think the motor is fried. I get sick all over again. But what really happend is the mix is too rich and the plugs are fouled by now. I am close to Spring Creek bridge and call my buddy Pat. Our plan is he will come get my keys when he goes in to weigh-in, then drive over and get me at the closest boat launch. Well inside the tournament rules and regualtions. Just gotta reach the weigh-in before 1:00. But, I am the president and the only one who really knows how to use the scales. But I am not concerned about that right now, my motor is fried.

While steadly running the trolling motor toward the boat ramp, I tied on 4 crank baits. 300 series bandits in my favorite colrs. It's about 9:30, so I trolled across a submerged hump and hooked up on a nice 14" white crappie within 10 minutes. Proceeded to fish the next 2 hours and caught 10 fish on crankbaits. All nice quality fish. Had 4 fish around 14". Would not have fished there if not for my motor messed up. Finished in 2nd place with 6.16. Not a bad ending for such a screwed up day. Got home and took out the spark plugs. Not metal shavings. The plugs are fouled and will replace them and fill up the remainder 10 gallons in my gas tank and run it after church. ALl of this may end up costing me only $20 in spark plugs.

What a day
    Last edited by David Waters; 08-06-2005 at 04:59 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

David, sorry you had such misfortune with your motor, however I am glad it was not hurt. Glad to see a good turn out. I am i hopes I will be able to get into the next tourny. Doug

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Doug, we would love to have you as a member and fish with us. You just let me know anything you need and consider it done.

Yes. THe next tournament is September 3rd on Wilson/Pickwick. This should be a good tournament for our members. I have actaully thought about asking if the members would want to make this a money tournament by throwing in a little cash just for the heck of it. I will think about this some more and will talk to all the members about it.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

David...you should not use this motor again. It has to be scrapped. Just write the check for a new one... I can scrap it for you...I'll be there in the morning to get it... Oh yeah to scrap it I must confiscate the boat also.
    Glad to hear you were lucky.. I put super in an old motor and melted the piston walls last year... everyone does stupid stuff at times...

Catching those fish on the humps doesn't suprise me.. The shad love these underwater humps and the bigger crappie know where they are and gorge on them. Looks to me like that is where to catch these dogday crappie...

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

update on my motor

Replaced my plugs which cost only $12 for 6. Took my boat to fleet harbor and ran it. The first 2 hours the boat ran at idle speeds great. It actaully let me take off one time. Just before I went to the river, I put in 8 gallons of 93 oct gas.

A good storm came up so I trailered the boat and went to Brad's until it stopped. We took out the plugs and wipped them down. They were slightly fouled, but not bad.

Went back down to the lake and ran it some more. This time, after about 15 minutes, the motor kinda ran good. In fact, I got on it pretty good and it ran at full speed for almost a full minute. I ran down the lake a good ways before it finally just bogged down. The motor quit and I turned around. I idled for a minute and she took off again. I got about half way back and she bogged down again. After that, the plugs must have been fouled because it would not allow me to give it gas. When I do not have it in gear, the motor runs great. I can give her gas and she revs to 6,000 rpms easy. When she is in gear and pulling gas, it boggs down. I ran it until about 7:30 just trying to burn some gas. It is still not running well, but I am pleased I have not burned up the motor. When I left, idle swpeed is all I could run.

I have a feeling there is something clogged like the fuel injectors or the fuel pump. Something else besides the rich gas is doing this I am afraid. Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by David Waters; 08-08-2005 at 06:39 AM.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Injectors sounds right..... Has to be the extra oil in the gas. Good luck. Hope you get it right today....or soon.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

David,

I have done the same before, that that bad but I have over-oiled before. Go to your local Auto Parts store and get some SEA-FOAM oil and gas treatment. I think you maybe able to get it from Wal-Mart too. It cleans your gas and oil of all kinds of stuff. It is really good at cleaning the injectors also. I think the can says to use one can per 20 gals of gas but read the directions to be sure. Hope this helps.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to fill the other 24 gallon tank with gas and a good mix. Then, change plugs again and try to get it running good Friday afternoon using the good gas. I will just try to get rid of the other gas later.

Post Thanks / Like

The Sea-Foam will clean the injectors if you think they need it too. It might save you some time and money. For future reference it will also remove water from gas tanks too. I use it on my lawnmower, boat and truck.
    Birddog,

I pray that I may live to fish until my dying day. And when it comes to my last cast I then most humbly pray. When in the Lord's great landing net and peacefully asleep. That in His mercy I be judged, BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You can't beat that Sea Foam. Also in addition to what birddog said, it can be used to decarb a motor and you can use it in place of sta-bil if you are going to have a motor sit up for a while. Its by far the best additive I've ever ran across and have never read any negative reports on it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast