Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question: Do crappie absorb there Eggs in they don't spawn?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: Do crappie absorb there Eggs in they don't spawn?

I read a post that Crappie absorb there eggs if they don't spawn. And also that during the winter is when they absorb there Eggs. True or False. First time I have ever heard that they absorb there eggs. 50yrs fishing for Crappie. Need answers guys. Idaho Fisherman. Ken
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 04-05-2009 at 09:35 AM.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I Think That's Mostly A Myth. When Conditions Get Right They Spawn. Eggs Start Forming In Early Fall. Then After The Spawn Egg Sacks Are Reabsorbed And Are Reformed In The Fall. NEVER REMEMBER A COMPLETE SPAWN FAILURE, IF 10% HAVE A GOOD SPAWN WE WOULD HAVE PLENTY OF FISH.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

True. If Crappiepappy tells you something about crappie you can take it to the bank. Bass do the same. Last year on Brownlee we saw this a lot with smallmouth. I'm just guessing but we had rising water conditions which must have kept the smallies off their preferred spawning pattern.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ken ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Jones View Post
    I read a post that Crappie absorb there eggs if they don't spawn. And also that during the winter is when they absorb there Eggs. True or False. First time I have ever heard that they absorb there eggs. 50yrs fishing for Crappie. Need answers guys. Idaho Fisherman. Ken
    I was always under the impression that Crappie absorb their eggs, if they don't drop any of them, and the remaining ones ... if they don't drop them all. They wouldn't wait until Winter, though. They'd start shortly after post spawn. They start a new egg sac clutch in late Summer/early Fall. They grow the most, in length and weight, during the Summer. Generally speaking, they start producing a new egg sac about 6 months prior to their normal spawning period (as it relates to area of the country).

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I know after the spawn there's none that I clean that have egg sacs so where do they go???

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen when they are done with the spawn and moved in the direction of summer pattern many times they still have a bit of eggs left and are already in 20' of water. So fast answer, I believe they do.

If things (conditions move them away from their spawning grounds like lake dropping or to the things they will just move on to the next pattern and any eggs not dropped will just absorb into them. Last year they left the shallow water a good bit sooner than years past and I did catch a good number in that 20' of water with eggs still not all gone.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Skip, could it of been the water in the shallows got to warm? Skip, I looked at some of your Jigs they look nice. I tie all my own jigs and Crappie Flys. Most of the time I use Crappie Tubes. Most of the time it dosen't matter what you use the Crappie will take all most anything if its presented right. Ken
    Last edited by Ken Jones; 04-05-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

We have had several failed spawns out here on a couple of lakes due to sudden weather changes and water drops. Absolutely they will re-absorb their eggs if the spawn fails and we see it a little each year. It's easy to see when cleaning post spawn fish in mid summer and finding dark brown or Grey colored eggs in them that are also hard and gritty feeling. I've taken pictures of them and asked our Game/Fish to look at them and they have agreed those fish failed to spawn and were re-absorbing the remaining eggs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs View Post
    We have had several failed spawns out here on a couple of lakes due to sudden weather changes and water drops. Absolutely they will re-absorb their eggs if the spawn fails and we see it a little each year. It's easy to see when cleaning post spawn fish in mid summer and finding dark brown or Grey colored eggs in them that are also hard and gritty feeling. I've taken pictures of them and asked our Game/Fish to look at them and they have agreed those fish failed to spawn and were re-absorbing the remaining eggs.
    Yes weather and water dropping fast will for sure will make thing change. We have had problems with SRA dropping this lake too fast if it gets full.

Jumping Cholla Jigs be sure to check out the secret post as I told him about your lights and that I have them too, but he can just as easy go to you.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...ie-secret.html

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!