Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Green River 4/4

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green River 4/4

Fished Green River Saturday 7:30-3:30. Put in at Holmes Bend where the water was up over the concrete boat dock next to the boat ramp. Water was muddy at the dock, but got a little better as you went toward the main lake. I think the water was about 2 ft over summer pool. Water temps went from 52 in the morning to 58 when we left. Wound up with 30 keepers, but had to work hard and VERY slow to get em.

Good Luck
    S Burns

Post Thanks / Like

hi, i was at green river this weekend, and we are from cincy and while there on sunday we drove up by the dam just to see it and they were letting water out at a pretty good rate, while we were on the dam an army corps of engineers truck pulled up and the guy walked out to the concrete tower where i assume they controll the gates from. we then heard a siren and he walked out got in his truck and drove off. my question is what was the siren warning of?

ps. i am glad you found the fish cause we couldnt buy a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

The siren sounded because he was letting more water through the dam. That is to warn fishermen and other people down there below the dam that there is about to be an increase in the water flow. In short "watch out, the water is going to rise."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stsburnsy View Post
    In short "watch out, the water is going to rise."
    Quickly, I might add. The water down below the dam was rolling when I went through there Saturday night. It wasn't muddy however.

Post Thanks / Like

we got there on friday and being the first time there we kinda just scouted the lake. we were staying at holmes bend and went to the right from there, every cove we went into was packed full of drift wood so we kept heading up the lake and it was horrible, muddy and covered with drift. so we stayed down around the marina. then on saturday the water was up about 2-3 feet and the mud was down to the marina so we headed to the left but didnt go very far, went around the bend there and fished the coves up on the right but had no luck. i like to think that was because of the water and weather and not because of us because we would like to go back next year because we were treated very well but two days and no fish sucks. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I went to Lindsey Wilson for a year and used to spend my freetime up at the lake in the Holmes Bend area building brushpiles and just generally dickering around outside. The lake was absolutely on fire for bass the past two weeks or so. I don't fish for bass but they have been catching them pretty good until this big front came through. It was tough everywhere saturday.

I fished barren with hardly any luck either. I can't tell you any real good spots over there as I just bank fished when i was going to school but it is an up and coming lake for crappie. five to eight years ago i would say that they were a lot of sub-legal fish. From what i have been reading on here and elsewhere it seems as though those fish have grown to keeper size and now make up a better portion of the population. From what i remember when the water was drawn down there was not a whole heck of a lot of cover and perhaps these bigger fish are suspending along breaks, cuts, and bluff walls, making them tougher to catch.