Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer lights, need help please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer lights, need help please

Here's the story. Just replaced both taillights about a month ago. Everything worked fine for a while. Last weekend while launching, I noticed as my buddy pulled the truck out that the passenger side was out. Turn signals still worked, brake lights still worked, but no running lights. I had and extra, so replaced the passenger side last night, checked everything out, everything was working fine. Headed to the lake this morning, everything was working fine. Stopped for gas on the way home, now drivers side light is doing the same thing. Turn signals work, brake lights work, no running lights. I looked last night while replacing the light, and it looked like about every 12" there was a plug all the way to the front of the trailer to adapter. Any body know where to start??
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by a plug every 12"? Splice? If it were mine or you brought it to me when I was doing that stuff, I would rewire the trailer. Pretty easy job.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, theres a three prong plug for each wire, where it looks like both sides are that way all the way back to the front of the trailer. I thought about maybe attempting to rewire the trailer, but thought now that both sides are going out at different times, that maybe it could be the plug on my truck. I really don't know, when its comes to anything electrical I'm lost.

Post Thanks / Like

Does your trailer have marker lights down the side? Did replacing the bulb fix the problem? What part number is the bulb?

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem last year. I narrowed it down to a erratic ground wire or water getting in my lights somehow. My trailer needed new lights and wires anyway, so I replaced them both. No more problems.

Post Thanks / Like

just rewire...it will be alot easier and cheaper in the long run!
    For the love of Kids and FISHING!

Post Thanks / Like

Rule number 1: Check the ground.
    Rule number 2: Just rewire with LED lights and you won't have to deal with trailer lights near as darn much!

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

i have had many problems with trailer lights for a almost 25 years. several times it was exactly like you just described. it normally had to do with a bad ground but if the wiring is old it wouldnt hurt to replace it. the fewer connections you have the better. make sure that you have a good ground at each light, at the tongue of the trailer, and at your vehicle. if you are grounded properly and have no bad connections (i use butt slices not those little blue crimp connectors) you will eliminate almost all your problems. i have 5 boats and trallers. 1 new and 4 old. i have rewired 2 this way about 2 years ago, they still work perfectly.the 2 others i have not rewired deal me fits getting a ground every time i use them. i have also rewired 2 boats for my brother they work great also. just remember it is almost ALWAYS A GROUND!!!! start there first. lights are 12 volt dc circuits they have to have a good ground to work properly. i hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

You know I broke a spring bracket on my trailer a few weeks ago and had to have it welded back on. Now my lights have been acting crazy and one bulb went out last night. I bet they burned the coating off the wires inside that trailer frame. How hard is it to put new wires down one side. Just tie a new one to the old one and pull it through?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what to do, lots of suggestions but still stumped. The marked lights down the side are never effected. My ground is good and solid, thought it could be my truck connection but last weeked it blew out on my buddys truck, then my truck this weekend, so that narrows it down to the trailer. Guess I'm just going to go ahead and rewire, just hope that I can get the old wires out of the trailer with all the connectors running front to back. Have any of you guys used anything like a silicone seal, I have been useing wire nuts and electrical tape. I'm thinking that with all the connections running through the trailer, thats where my short is coming from. Thanks for all the help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast